14 months later

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Thanks for the compliments! It certainly was quite a bit of trial and error, but I am pleased with the results right now.

I wish I could have taken a good picture of that badis this morning cam, he was even better looking!

Anyone have any ideas for my background though? I am thinking of maybe attaching a creeping fig, but I'm not so sure that would look all that great..

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
If it where me, I would attach java moss to the back with some fig going through it all. In the end, it will look like a green soft background with some fig winding around in the background. Even better, attach peacock moss (if you can find it) so it droops down from the back. And if you can, attach some other plants, but keep the moss as you main background plant to fill in every little piece of bare dirt showing. How did you get that background anyways?

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Interesting idea.. I think I like it. I have this other moss in my 10gal, I put a tiny bit in the tank and I like how it looks better than the Java. I think it may be Singapore moss? I'll try taking that(I am growing hordes of it in the 10gal) and putting it over more of the background. I won't be able to put it over all of the background, some of the top parts get too dry, and I have learned my lesson in trying to tweak the tank too much.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Thanks guys! I am actually tending less and less to the tank every week, and it continues to look better.

I was checking out the tank the other day and I actually have quite a bit of new moss growth on my back wall. I will probably let the java grow wild and add a bit more singapore from my 10gal tank. My Riccia is also starting to grow emeresed as well.

When it comes to the creeping fig, I have heard that they require their soil to dry out a bit? This may be a problem in my tank. The plant on the top right(above the Anubia) needs its soil to dry out, but I am unable to provide this anymore. I think this may be too wet for creeping fig..

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
Just to let you know, I totally redid my 20 gallon FBT setup to look like yours. I made it with the front filled with water, tossed in a couple stems of pennywort, a hollowed out log for a waterfall, and the back made of pressed sphagnum moss. I also ordered up a pot of creeping fig from ebay to get started on the background, with some java moss spread on the very moist parts of the soil where it meets the water. I also bought a couple feeder guppies to see how they would be in the water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store