14g Cork Paludarium Photo Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tomany

AC Members
Nov 23, 2009
Hartford, Al
Really nice, I'm going to try one of these some day;)

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Looks great! I bet it will grow in beautifully. The grassy stuff looks like Ophiopogon japonicus to me.

pedzola

AC Members
Aug 26, 2005
Thank you, and thanks for the hint on the grass. It sorta looks like... normal grass... lawn. Anxious to see if it gets much bigger or starts spreading sideways.

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
That really looks awsome, you did a great job! I can't wait to see after you stock it.
The more I see of these paludariums the more I'm liking them.

pedzola

AC Members
Aug 26, 2005
Thanks everyone. I'll post some more pics after my cherry shrimp settle in. They should arrive early next week.

ARod

AC Members
Jun 30, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Any updates on this tank?

I love the way it came out. Inspired me to make another one.

Where did you pickup that 14gal tank? I cant seem to find one online.

pedzola

AC Members
Aug 26, 2005
Glad that this tank helped to inspire you!

About the 14g tank... I think it was a petco exclusive that only came in a package deal. When I bought it I searched all over, because I wanted just the tank and not the whole kit. But I wasn't able to turn anything up. I think it was a limited run, so to speak. You could always call up aqueon and ask...

Update... I've put a few cherry and ghost shrimp in there. I had some trouble procuring cherries here from another user... theoretically he shipped them today (I've been waiting weeks). So we'll see. If they come, I'll probably give my ghost shrimps away. No other wildlife yet. I'll wait to see if I can get a cherry shrimp colony before putting in a betta.

The water is continually tinged brown in this tank. Pretty sure it's the cork. I thought it would go away but it hasn't.

The plants on the little shelf are doing great. I can put anything there and it will experience a growth spurt. The grass is extremely slow growing but the roots are super long, going through holes in the shelf and reaching all the way to the water. There are some bacopa trimmings up there that took root and are doing awesome.

The bacopa in the tank is growing in tall strands, straining to see the light through the brown water no doubt.

My anubias have been shooting new leaves, and the hygrphila kompakt is really filling out.

Basically, the tank looks great, and it's doing great. NO ALGAE whatsoever. I've been feeding the shrimps little pieces of algae wafer, since there is pretty much nothing in there for them to eat!

They hang out on the cork and the plants, and the cherries particularly enjoy chilling under the bushy hygrophila in about an inch of water on top of the terrace.

Pictures wouldn't show a whole lot different from the other ones here... once things fill out some more I'll take a few more snaps.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
where are you at, I'm getting rid of my RCS and can ship them to you. Most of mine are bad stock, someone on here sold me a deal that was too good to be true. Anyways, I can ship them to you for free if wanted.

Why get rid of the ghost shrimp? They won't interbreed with RCS, and are interesting to keep to provide some variety between them and the RCS.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store