14k Lights on Ebay Express

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jtburf

I want to hunt these.
Jul 18, 2007
Houston TX
300% mark up is what is usually on any MH light system, I can make a 400 watt dual system for 80$ and they retail for about 300$.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
As we have probably all experienced, vendors tend to screw reefers!

They market the same product, but slap a marine ready sticker on it and can charge 25% more, or worse!

So far I have not had any problem with these bulbs, but of course a direct comparison like Subliminal is trying is the best bet... only time will tell with my bulbs. I can tell you this much though, having gone to MH from PC, my corals are responding very well already, my leather is bursting it is growing so fast.
Well thats good to know.. I have a Hamilton Tech Double Reefsun setup with 10K XM bulbs now.. I am going to only put in one of the 14k bulbs for a comparisson. I didn't buy a 10k for a direct light to light comparisson as I've been wanting to upgrade to a 14k bulb anyway. But like I said its good to know that someone else is using his bulbs and having success.

300% mark up is what is usually on any MH light system, I can make a 400 watt dual system for 80$ and they retail for about 300$.
Your kidding right? 300%.. If I charged people a 300% markup for my fiber optic work I'd be able to retire in 5 years.

jtburf

I want to hunt these.
Jul 18, 2007
Houston TX
Okay how much do you think they are paying the factorie workers, in China? or how about the materials, the stuff is soo highly marked up it's not even funny, I can completely light a 75 gallon with 400W of metal halide and 4 36" t5s for probably under a 150 not including light bulbs. that is by buying the ballast , sockets, and all other supplys.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Wow.. YOu make a good point but I figured there had to be something in the manufacturing process that raised the costs.. That and I haven't seen a unit not come with bulbs for the first time and I know those cost an arm and a leg.. But like I said if I can get these puppies to work, I'm gonna buy a 10 year supply from this guy.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Well I received the bulbs today and have one of them installed. I have never seen a 14k light on a system before so this is a new experience for me.. The difference in the spectrum is quite amazing. A nice blue tint that really makes some of the colors pop.

I'm going to run 1 10k and one of the new 14k bulbs for a few days and see how everything goes. Thanks to those who have given me input..

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Seriously? When did you order.. I sent him a mail through ebay asking when they were shipping so I knew when to expect them. He answered almost immediately and I got them like three days after I ordered.

I have actually switched over to both of these lights as of this point and I don't seem to be having any issues. My zoa is doing the same in fact I have noticed some new polyps.

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
He finally emailed me back this morning after pestering him for 2 days. Said sorry for the delay, they should be here in a few days.

Of course, he's around philadelphia and i'm about an hour away from there, so chances are he hadn't even shipped them yet, and if i hadn't emailed, I'd've never gotten them.

I hate when that happens.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
I have gotten burned before and make it a general policy that if I don't receive (even automated messages) shipping information within 24 to 48 hours of a purchase they are getting emailed requesting that information. If I don't get a quick reply I start a process of documenting everything for when I turn it over to ebay/paypal.

I hope you get your lights, so far these seem to be doing the trick.

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
Hey guys,

Updates? how are they doing so far? I am now going on one month on my 10k, and I can definitely see the difference on my Yellow Colony Polyps especially. The piece of rock I had them on was about 3/4 full, now in one month they have filled the entire rock and are now spreading onto two adjacent pieces.

I just bought some Frogspawn and so far after 4 days, it is fully open and looking good so far.

My only regret is not getting 14k, I think that would help bring out the color more. Maybe for Christmas I will spring and by some 14k's, for $20.00 it is worth it, and I can interchange them if I need to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store