150 Gallon Build Thread ... From the Start

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
I can't wait to see how this huge tank looks like all planted. And seeing how well your hex tank is doing, I can;t imagine how this tank will look.

WaywardSon

Carry on ...
Jul 16, 2008
I can't wait to see how this huge tank looks like all planted. And seeing how well your hex tank is doing, I can;t imagine how this tank will look.
Thanks David for the compliments and enthusiasm.

We are very excited also - it's a very big undertaking - just want to make sure we do it the "best" way!!

Thanks to all - this thread and the feedback, ideas, and encouragement we have received already makes the whole project much, much easier!!

Teeds404

AC Members
Sep 27, 2006
You might want to make a drop by soon and talk to Marcie in person. Maybe u two could figure out some sort of package or something. We can pretty much order you anything you will want, be it any eheim's or lights or whatever. Anyway just a thought.

WaywardSon

Carry on ...
Jul 16, 2008
You might want to make a drop by soon and talk to Marcie in person. Maybe u two could figure out some sort of package or something. We can pretty much order you anything you will want, be it any eheim's or lights or whatever. Anyway just a thought.
Thanks Matt - I kinda' had that in mind. Wanted to get a bit more info so that I have my ducks all in order before coming in. We leave for Disneyland next Thursday for a week - hope to get in before that.

The lights are the real question in my mind, which are tied directly to the tall tank (wish I had never saw it in person - lol).

Eheim 2 x 2250 or 2260 seem to be the plan.

Still hard to give it up for the price of the stand and canopy. (The sell there would be to see that cherry wood finish in person.)

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
Question: Paint the back of the tank black? What kind of paint to use? Just like spray painting anything else - a few thin, even coats? Will the paint hurt / affect the Mag Float?

Question: Substrate? How much and what kind??
So many options for substrate; you'll get 20 answers and they'll all be good ones. I personally have had good luck with Seachem flourite (black). Just wash the heck out of it before placing in the tank.

I wish I had time to paint the back of the tank black before fill, as the papers simply never look uniformly even and wrinkle free. IMO, the best options use 3D backgrounds. If you're willing to explore this option, check out this source:

http://www.aquaterra-intl.com/index.html

It allows you to hide tubing, etc. as well. Then again, you will probably have a very heavily planted tank and in that case, a dimensional background is probably a waste. I would certainly paint though.

WaywardSon

Carry on ...
Jul 16, 2008
There's another LFS I want to check with on pricing for the tank, stand, and canopy (hope they carry the brand). Actually one LFS is 60 miles to the North and the other is 60 miles to the South (I'm in a perfect location - lol - an hour from both of them)!!

Feedback on substrate and painting the back of the tank is more than welcome!! Thanks!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store