150 gallon w/ stand in mobile home questions?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Leighlou

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Lol thank you, its night time right now, so I will check on the joist tomorrow when its light out. I heard its a lot easier to care for a large tank then smaller tanks?

Leighlou

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Maybe once I have that, I can figure out where it can go and what I will need to add.

theemon

AC Members
Jun 14, 2009
my dad had a cast iron duel 55gal stand with 2 55gals on it (later a 55gal and 75gal) and it held just fine.

i would support the bottom though. i dunno how, crawl under and build a frame for it?

Lycanthropic

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
Alberta
IMO my big tank is soo much easier to deal with

Sounguru

Guru at being an expert
I live in a manufactured home myself and I have a 150 also, here is what I have found to be the case.

#1 I had a 55 that was going with the joist and the weight did begin to sink the floor because it was between to joist.

#2 I have a 75 that goes across the joist no problems there

#3 Where I want to place the 150 is with the joist and I will only get one to support the tank. So after talking to the manufacturer and a home builder what they recommend is cross supports. This can be done 3 ways.

A: Place another one or 2 2x12 (size of my joist) between the other joist creating one or 2 more joist.

B:Using 4x4 create t braces spaced 12" between the joist. So basically take a 4x4 attach it to the joist against the floor and then create a down leg to help transfer the weight to the slab underneath.

C: Create a ladder underneath by tying 3 joist together every 12 inches and then add 2 down supports under the joist themselves.

Both said if I did not reinforce the floor that I would have 1 to 3 years before it would start to sag. I will probably do the 4x4 brace system since it is the easiest but that will be a summer project.

Hope that all make since.:huh: Oh by the way my house is only 3 years old so on an even older home I would imagine bracing the floor is an even higher priority than on a newer home.

You have to figure the weight of the tank if it is an older one is 200+ lbs + 10 pounds per gallon + decorations say 30lbs plus the weight of the stand you are probably pushing 2000+ pounds

Xandict

AC Members
Aug 3, 2009
Pikeville, KY
I live in an early 80's mobile home. Scared to fill my 185g tank up before i put bracing under it. Poured a 6'x6' concrete pad under the trailer this weekend and laid blocks under the area where the tank will sit catching 3 floor joists. Should hold right?

Apr 2, 2002
New York
This thread was posted last in 2009 before last Monday in Sept. 2023.

A glass tank with lids and a stand weighs a whole lot more than your tub.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store