20 gallon inventory

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

xaosGK

AC Members
Mar 30, 2007
A 20L is generally considered a good size to breed cons in with proper hiding spots.
I was working on the assumption that he wanted more fish than just two convicts :)

As for rams, they like soft, acidic, *clean* water. They will not thrive in hard alkaline water, and they'll be miserable if water changes are neglected. Suitable tankmates would be smaller, peaceful tetras, barbs, or rasboras (tinfoils don't qualify as "small"), as well as cories and the smaller plecos (peckolita, ancistrus, etc). You could keep a couple dwarf gouramies with them too, I guess.

Jmerk

Fish geek
Apr 17, 2007
Cache Valley, Ut
I like blue rams so I think that I will get 5 rams. I think I will get a gold nugget or rubberliped pleco and some red minors. I also like angle fish, can I put some in with blue rams.

Thanks
Jmerk

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Angelfish are too tall for a 20 gallon long - I wouldn't do it because it'll stunt the fish. Angels can be 8" tall when full grown and about 6" long - they're much bigger fish than you usually see at the LFS (I agree they're cool - I have a duo in my 33 gallon tank).

I think the rams, pleco and dithers you're thinking of will make a great tank.

Eric

Jmerk

Fish geek
Apr 17, 2007
Cache Valley, Ut
How big of a tank (minimum size) do angle fish need?
I also think that I will get a gold nugget pleco (their WAY expensive at petsmart so I may have to get a rubber lip pleco instead). I also think that I might get some tinfoil barbs and some black skirt tetras. I also want to know if I can put goramis (dwarf neon blue or blue paradise) with this exact setup (all the fish I just mentioned).

thanks

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
If you can get a hold of a 29 gallon tank - that's a great size for an angel or two. However, they get big and messy so you don't want to add anything other than the rams, a smaller pleco and you might want to skip the dithers (some tetras are nippy with angels and their long fins...others are eaten by angels - it's a balancing act). I love black skirt tetras, but mine tormented my angels (like little piranhas) so they had to go back to the LFS (33 gallon tank). Tinfoil barbs get huge - over a foot...don't go there!

Eric

Jmerk

Fish geek
Apr 17, 2007
Cache Valley, Ut
Ok, I like the idea of a 29g. I might just get 1 angel, 2 silver dollars,a gold nugget pleco, 2 or 3 blue rams, and 2 dwarf neon blue goramis. I think this will work. You tell me.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
Ok, I like blue rams so you can just tell me the water conditions and what fish they can live with also. I have heard that blue rams are not very aggressive so I think I would just have a semi-aggressive community. I like anglefish, danios, goramis, silver dollars, tetras (the more aggressive ones like red minors) and barbs (tiger, tinfoil, and green tiger)

Please review
Thanks

Jmerk
they do well in soft , acidic water at a temp of at least 82ºf, and are not semi-aggressive. nitrates need to be as low as possible.

yourtank is to small for angels anyway. gouramis can work, if we are talking about pearl or dwarf gouramis; blue gouramis WILL NOT work. they are far to aggressive. silver dollars ge tto big for your tank. it is not a good idea to keep nippy fish with rams. rummynoses, noens, or cardinals are a much better choice. tinfiols get huge, over 12 inches, and wouldnt even physically fit in your tank, for they wouldnt even be able to turn around. tigers are to aggressive and need to be in a school of at least 12.

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
I think the 29 would work with the fish listed - but I'm not sure about the silver dollars. I like them, too, but they get pretty big and would take the same space as the angel. Maybe someone who has kept them would be able to give better advice.

Eric

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store