20 gallon long build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Looks great...

homemade stand? and if so, any links to the plans for it, or chance that someone could convince you to put some together?

Dougall you realize when you...it means you have more to say but won't/ can't right?

Also, yes. this is a Custom built hand crafted red oak stand made by yours truly. I originally planned to follow Greggz build when making this. Lets just say that if you want full creative control of something, don't allow others to help or be involved.

Here is a link to Greggz:
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forum...uild&highlight=120+DIY+Oak+Stand+Canopy+Build

I do like most of the changes that got made during the construction of my 75 gallon stand though. It is getting close to finished too. I made the rail and styles for the doors the other day. A few more finishing touches and the wood work will be done. I will stain and coat with polyurethane and it will be done.

As for making for someone else...I wish I could, but shipping would kill most folks, LOL.
I can try and make a sketchup or something detailing the build at some point if anyone would like. I only have a few pics of the process though.
Let me finish it and the 20L this thread is suppose to be about first.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Dougall you realize when you...it means you have more to say but won't/ can't right?
I was intending the ellipsis to indicate I was waiting for more updates ;)

Also, yes. this is a Custom built hand crafted red oak stand made by yours truly. I originally planned to follow Greggz build when making this. Lets just say that if you want full creative control of something, don't allow others to help or be involved.

Here is a link to Greggz:
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forum...uild&highlight=120+DIY+Oak+Stand+Canopy+Build

I do like most of the changes that got made during the construction of my 75 gallon stand though. It is getting close to finished too. I made the rail and styles for the doors the other day. A few more finishing touches and the wood work will be done. I will stain and coat with polyurethane and it will be done.
Cool, thanks, now you've reminded me of Greggz's build I remember it. I just have a stand to build in the near future, and want to avoid something made with 2x4s as much as possible :) The look of yours seems to be really close to what I want.

As for making for someone else...I wish I could, but shipping would kill most folks, LOL.
I was more meaning plans, not the stands themselves. :)

But it looks great, I can't wait to see more, and I'll let you get back to the normal thread.. ;)

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
10 points to dougall for knowing what...is called!

I will put something together for you/ the forum.

Sent from my XT1058 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Made with 2x4s doesn't have to be a bad thing. This stand has a 2x4 frame. It also happens to be my 20 long.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Not bad looking at all. I snooped in your photobucket at more pics...

Only part I am unsure about and have no experience in is staining. I had/ have full confidence in everything else, just not the coloring/ tinting part. I tried a polyshade on a sample piece and liked it. But I am not sure what I will do just yet.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Staining is easy... brush it on, wipe off the excess. Poly coat it when you reach the desired tint to seal it. Don't bother with the "all-in-one" poly stain combos... You may regret it as I did on a table I refinished. There is no room for error, and it dries quickly as you are working and streaks like mad unless you are very precise and quick. Happy sanding!

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
yeah, as Dave said - always do the staining first then the poly coat later. It's much easier to control the color/tint of the stain that way. You can always wipe off excess or add more when your applying stain alone.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
So because of my work schedule, emersed growth started to tank a dive. clover turned brown, anubias started turning yellow and or leaves dying. I decided to fill the tank even though I dont have Co2 worked out just yet. I made some progress though. ordered a Co2 tank, regulator rebuild kit, swagelok check valve, a few fittings, a new HP gauge, and...IDK can't remember it right now. Either way here are a few pics of the damage.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
It was looking so good too! Reality stinks man. I wish life consisted of hobbys and fun stuff. Thats it. But hopefully you get everything worked out and those plants start growing again.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Yeah that is life...

But here is a new issue. I have read other having issues with this too in the beginning.
uploadfromtaptalk1400557693601.jpg

Sent from my XT1058 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1400557693601.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store