20 Long Tang Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
i would hold off till you get a big tank, they need good water quality and they do grow slow, but not as slow as i thought, my friends where 5 inches in 2 years so... still pretty slow

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
I have no problem keeping water conditions good.

Bah but it looks like no calvus for me. The more I look into tangs the more I realize I would need a much larger tank than I have to keep some.

I'll just look into a freshwater community instead.

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
Bah but it looks like no calvus for me.
I hear you on that :) I had calvus fever for a while and almost convinced myself to put them in a tank with CA cichlids....

I think a 20g long is a great size for a planted community -- so easy to reach in and tweak the plants / decor to get exactly the look you want.

Enjoy!

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
nope dwarf puffers don't - better off in pure freshwater - its the hardness I am not sure about - they don't mind it quite close to concrete though, I think. I looked at them once myself but decided I didn't have room for the tank. Very cool lil fish - not sure on stocking levels though....something like 3 or 4 US Gallons per fish I think...you could maybe only have 1 or 2 in there if that's right.

edit I think in a 20 Long you could start with 3 - they get pretty nasty as they mature though so you may end up taking a couple back...have some plants in there and one or two cute as all get out lil dwarf puffer...and some snails. Check on that hardness though...but I think you could put in some driftwood and be fine.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Are you TRYING to be difficult on accident? Or at least make it seem like an accident..... :D

20L would make a great shellie tank but like you I was not impressed with them...at first. They are definitely growing on me though, I keep wandering towards them at the LFS.

I REALLY want to setup an open top planted 20L, so you should do that to help my addition, ok? :D That would be my vote based on your responses here, plus they are so easy to work in!

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
Wow, 5 inches in 2 years for Calvus? What are you feeding them? My female is 2 years old and roughly 2 inches long. My male is around 3, 3-1/2, and 4 inches. My other male is about 2 1/2- 3 years and roughly 3 inches.
I wouldn't see a problem with a pair in a 20 long for several years if bought as juvies. Provided you add enough rock-work you could probably keep a J. Transcriptus as well. A 40 breeder would make a good breeding tank for the Calvus as they grow out down the road.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store