20 Long Tang Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
BTW, at 8.0 out of the tap you're limited severely in stocking options unless you want to alter water chemistry ( hasn't worked well for me ), or buy/ make water. I'd stick to Africans or as Coler suggested... Puffers.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
I figure I have rift lake water practically pouring out of the tap I might as well take advantage of it :p

But most fish you see around here at the lfs and from breeders are kept in our high PH hard water. I don't think it would be a problem keeping softer water species, it just wouldn't be very natural.

I'm still on the fence about what to do so here's my plan.

Go ahead set up the 20 Long
Plant and aquascape
Let plants settle in for about a month
Then decide on stocking.

Who knows what might be at the LFS or on the forums by then. I have a lot of Tang breeders near me so I wouldn't be surprised to see some of those dwarf calvus pop up.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
I know you said you were not a fan of shellies but occies would more than make up for their size in spunk. Theres also quite a few different color varieties out there.
Do you know the full name? I will not pretend I have seen every shellie out there. There may be something I'm not aware of.

They're not cichlids, but what about some of the smaller species of rainbowfish, like threadfins?
Good idea. I'll look into those as well. I forgot that not all rainbows are huge.

rich_one

AC Members
Nov 7, 2008
Maryland
I know you said you were not a fan of shellies but occies would more than make up for their size in spunk. Theres also quite a few different color varieties out there.
I second that motion! gold occies are among my very favorite of all fishes period!

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Thanks

I'll look into those.

Ok so I guess I will explain my deal with shellies. If the tank was a 10 gallon I would be all for shellies. They seem to be interesting and have nice personalities. For a 20 long I just feel like they would get lost in the tank since they are so little. I was hoping to look into some tangs that are a bit larger so I can sit from the other side of the room and still watch them.

What about a pair of Neolamprologus pulcher? Someone near me is selling these guys. They look cool, the profile says they do well in planted tanks and they seem to have interesting parenting behavior.

rich_one

AC Members
Nov 7, 2008
Maryland
Thanks

I'll look into those.

Ok so I guess I will explain my deal with shellies. If the tank was a 10 gallon I would be all for shellies. They seem to be interesting and have nice personalities. For a 20 long I just feel like they would get lost in the tank since they are so little. I was hoping to look into some tangs that are a bit larger so I can sit from the other side of the room and still watch them.

What about a pair of Neolamprologus pulcher? Someone near me is selling these guys. They look cool, the profile says they do well in planted tanks and they seem to have interesting parenting behavior.
for what it's worth, I have occies in a 55! now, they are in there with some comps, calvus and cyps... but nonetheless, I actually find them to still be the funnest things to watch go about their daily business in the tank than anyone else! And belive me... I love my calvus and comps! LOL...

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
" Lamprologus ocellatus" :thm:

Pulchers ( and Brichardi, same fish ), or Daffodils would work as a pair, but don't expect to keep anything with them and you'll eventually have a twice a month spawn to deal with. A dedicated 40 would be a better fit. I would rule them out. Kribs are always a great fish, and would do well in your water.
You say you want to go planted, why not start with a neutral based substrate ( eco complete, peat, soil ), see where your parameters go, and take it from there? My params are similar to yours, but using a peat substrate and every other day water changes keeps the pH at or about 7.0.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store