230 Tank Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
Very cool...I can't wait to see your progress. Maybe it'll inspire me to build a sump for my tank.
Great work so far! And photos rock!:headbang2:
Robbie

trippkid

AC Members
Jun 27, 2007
Lewisberry, PA
Very nice pics of your project so far. I could probably help in the plumbing dept. when your ready. I agree with most of what CL said, although the only reason I have ball valves on my system is to shut the water off, not to slow flow going into the sump, I just use filter socks to clear up the micro-bubble problem. I don't believe in restricting the drains at all. Just remember the drain hole sizes is what you have to work with as far as flow, then you need to figure head height, friction loss from elbows, T's, etc. when determining your pump, I would try to get something that doesn't need cut back by a valve(just wasting electricity and adding unwanted heat possibly). No need for check valves, they will fail, although they may work a little better for you, since the sump is in the basement. Another good thing about the basement sump set-up, is if there is a problem the mess can find its way to the drain in the floor( I hope there is one). All that is needed for preventing back siphoning is siphon breaks in the return line(these do need checked for clogging, especially if made too small, but do the job perfectly. I won't get into everything now, let me know if I can help when it is time. Good luck, looks awesome so far, I'm jealous. I need to convince my wife a nice 8'Long X 4'D(front to back) X 2'High tank upgrade for my addiction.
Matt

Rudy

Over my head
Dec 3, 2002
MA
Visit site
Hey Matt, Thanks a bunch. I will certainly take you up on your offer. I hope, abased on my prject schedule, to begin the plumbing by early to mid February. Unfortuantely, my schedule is very fluid.

trippkid

AC Members
Jun 27, 2007
Lewisberry, PA
No problem we are all here to help or give ideas if we can. Can't wait to see the whole build on your system, sounds like a very fun project. I do miss setting them up, that is just as fun to me. What plans do you have for the DT, reef,FO,or FOWLR, sorry if you said before. Good luck with everything.
Matt

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Trip I'll tell you that I used to not have a valve on the overflow line and it was noisy as heck. But realistically it isn't restricting the flow at all (or barely anyway).. It is barely turned to the point where the air isn't needed or allowed into the pipe. It was really loud even with the silencer. Now you can't even tell I have a fish tank no noise really..

trippkid

AC Members
Jun 27, 2007
Lewisberry, PA
That is cool, there is more than one way to do the job, sorry I was just giving my thoughts on it(I have had to do what you are talking about in the past). Yes, it can quiet it down, I just try different ways to try and quiet or get rid of the micro bubbles(raising standpipes, filter socks, extending the drains all the way to the bottom of the sump, smaller return pump, etc). That is part of the wonder in this hobby, nothing is really set in stone as far as how things have to be done. I hope you weren't too offended by my comment, that was not my intention.
Matt

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Nope wasn't offended, just wanted to offer an explaination as to why I did what I did.

Rudy

Over my head
Dec 3, 2002
MA
Visit site
Tank stand's framing is now complete, minus a couple reinforcing lag screws. <I ran out>

I know... I know.. I went way overboard with the support columns, but this stand is strictly for support. :eek3:

I will have a couple small doors to access pipes/valves and store food. Otherwise, there is no need for a lot of extra space underneath. As long as I have enough to access in case of an emergency I am all-set.

One thing is fairly certain, the tank may leak one day, but I don't think i have to worry about the stand ever collapsing. :grinyes:

Hope to start the finish work tomorrow.

Tank Stand - Framing Complete 003 (post).JPG

Last edited:

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Holey Smokes Batman.. No I don't think you'll have a problem with the tank colapsing.. In fact I think you could hold a tank on that thing.. ;)

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
Rudy, you don't kid around when you brace something! I'm going to have to take another look at mine now. That thing will hold...anything! Good clean job, by the way. Keep the pics coming.
Tom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store