230 Tank Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
WOW! Thant is one tough tank stand. Nice job.
My Perfecto stand for my 210 is literally made entirely out of 1x4's:eek3:
Robbie

Rudy

Over my head
Dec 3, 2002
MA
Visit site
Thanks for the props all - Like I said, I know it is overkill, but I am not an engineer, so I figured better safe than sorry.

More pics coming after the finish job.

Thanks again for the positive support.

Rudy

Over my head
Dec 3, 2002
MA
Visit site
Another quick pick. No real change other than the addition of 1/2 plywood to the top. It is only tipped up at one end becuase I am moving it to atop the sawhorses and this was the best technique I could come up with to move it myself. :idea:

I hope to start adding the finish wood (Red Oak) evenings this week or next weekend at the latest.

Tank Stand - Framing Complete 005 (post).JPG

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Looking good Rudy.. I might just have to hire you to build my cabinet... ;)

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Rudy: great stand, can't wait to see the rest come together! Where do you plan to put your sump? I assume remote to the stand.

Rudy

Over my head
Dec 3, 2002
MA
Visit site
Rudy: great stand, can't wait to see the rest come together! Where do you plan to put your sump? I assume remote to the stand.

Thanks Almond :)

"I am lucky -since my sump and all filter apparatus will be one floor below, in the basement, I am going for maximum support and stability (Overkill) with the stand.

The only hardware which may end-up directly under the tank and within the cabinet, is the pump for the closed loop. However, I might place that below deck, so to speak, as well."

Rudy

Over my head
Dec 3, 2002
MA
Visit site
Drill Holes

Can anyone advise me on how much working space I'll likely need to easily secure the bulkhead fittings to the bottom drill holes once the tank is seated atop the stand?

In other words, if the holes in the tank-bottom (closed loops) are pre-drilled to 2" D, what size hole(s) should I drill through the plywood to allow for access to bulkhead fitting(s).

Obviously, I want to maximize space, but not significantly compromise the stability in the area surrounding the multiple openings in the tank-bottom Does anyone know of a formula? Hell, I’ll be happy with a simple rule of thumb? :help:

I was going to drill them all to 4 1/4" if it is not problematic? I already own a whole saw that size. Otherwise, I’ll go buy, or borrow, a smaller size.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
I don't know if there is a rule of thumb, but I guess I would make it big enough so I could get a wrench in there to tighten down the colar on the bulkehead your going to insert into the tank once its drilled, or get back to the colar if you have problems down the road.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store