29G Shrimp Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Great color on those, man.
Thanks, although I had no part in it, they came that way. :)

I actually just paid for some new sakura shrimp about an hour ago! Probably going to come at the worst possible time for my busy schedule (Friday) but no matter, I will make time for them!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Just like my Amanos for my 58g today I got surprise shrimp! WTH is it with me and surprise shrimp!? lol These ones came a day early though, fortunately I decided to check the tracking randomly and they were only in the mailbox about an hour and it was a beautiful day today. Their water temp ended up being 78F so no problem there. Got about 20 Sakuras and several are 5/8" females with great color. Could have gotten saddled and berried females but I asked for all juvis, they do better for me, and she put in at least 5 extras, happy happy. And actually at least one of those females appears to be saddled! I haven't gotten to check them out much cause I'm just so darn busy but they look good so far.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Haven't found any dead ones yet but there are so many hidden places for those to go. I've counted 12 out of about 20 including a super tiny one and 2 saddled females (the whole spectrum).

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
So, how are they doing? You know I've been gone...I need to know! Shrimp are good hiders, but dead 1's are also hard to find sometimes, little cannibals

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Good to have you back. :) Think they are doing well. Counted 13 tonight. Saw several molts. Great color! One females eggs appear to be on their way down to her swimerttes. I don't expect those eggs to hatch though cause she is still pretty small and the stress of shipping and what not but it could happen. Plants are certainly suffering though. Just noticed how yellow my floaters are, might add just a touch of nitrates for them. Otherwise LOVING this tank!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Had stuff in front of this tank so I couldn't get too many pictures but here's a few from tonight. I did add 1/8 tsp of KNO3 today btw.

A couple attempts at group shots...
IMG_3043.JPG IMG_3042.JPG

Fairly clear shots of one of the new females, probably not even .75". For reference that is flourite black sand.
IMG_3046.JPG IMG_3045.JPG

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Noticed an improvement in the yellowing of the plants after adding that one dose of nitrates. I fear some shrimp may have died, only because I can only ever get about a 10 count out of 20 but no bodies found and only a few molts found. The ones I see do look awesome though! Amano hasn't touched the hair algae so I will try a different one. Uhhh yeah it's a slow growing low tech tank not much else to say. :)

FTSs - It's kinda messy, oh well. I trimmed about 10 of the tallest front crypt leaves. All the new crypts are doing ok.
IMG_3095.JPG IMG_3098.JPG IMG_3099.JPG

Don't think I posted pics when the buce was more yellow but it is doing better now.
IMG_3102.JPG
Affinis, not red but living
IMG_3106.JPG
Front crypts - I should get an ID on these
IMG_3104.JPG
Nurii
IMG_3105.JPG

Trying to get a pic of the snail and the top shrimp came in the clearest.
IMG_3110.JPG
And then the middle shrimp lol
IMG_3111.JPG
IMG_3108.JPG
Sorry some of the pictures are so dark. Even with a second light fixture on the tank it is not bright enough for the action setting, which gives the clearest pictures.
IMG_3101.JPG
IMG_3078.JPG IMG_3081.JPG IMG_3083.JPG IMG_3085.JPG
IMG_3137.JPG

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I like it! Of course your low tech crypts are not as pretty as they might be, that's the price we pay for easy maintenance, right? Shrimp & snails looking good too.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I think the price is a bargain too! I love any easy tank! Now if the shrimp just breed outta control like they are known to do, I'll be set! (Had a lot of shrimp problems in the past, still scarred from it) I think the front crypts are doing great, they have at least 6 baby plants (which I might move to the 58g) and if I can train them shorter I'll be thrilled. The others are still new. I'm surprised they are doing as good as they are considering they are not stupid easy crypts. But not quite as exciting as the tank that gets the ferts. ;) I have other ones tucked in else where too that are doing good too but they are not in good spots to photograph.

Java fern is looking pretty mad at me, what's new there!? But I think it is just cause the floaters were sitting over them for so long. Considering getting rid of all the floaters except the giant duckweed, the lettuce roots get stuck and make the whole floater patch stationary. Floaters were really just a start-up thing and since the plants seem to be hungry now I think it's time for the floaters to move on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store