29gal 1 angelfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
lol..yeah, my angel is the king of my 55g. Only my clown loaches are unimpressed by him.

Here is a pic of him as he arrogantly glides through his domain.

Last edited:

pugfish

AC Members
Feb 25, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
My angel is so docile. Although perhaps that was because "she" was so busy being bullied by the other angel that she used to be with. They never payed attention to the other fish in the tank.

Dapple2

AC Members
Jul 3, 2003
Oregon
pictures.care2.com
Check your PM's Pug ;) I had to cut half my reply off, lol, daggone thing would only let me do 1000 characters which isn't as much as I though it was...

It's an Aphyosemion striatum Pretty aren't they? *evil grin* Hmmm...possible killi convert.... *lures pug to the dark site*

pugfish

AC Members
Feb 25, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
Dapple2- I would like to be a convert. Unfortunately I'm married ;) There is no way my husband would let me get another tank. So I'm stuck dreaming about having more tanks or at least a nice 75gal. The only other tank that I have is a 15 gal tank(tall) It sits empty for now. One tank is all I can take care of anyway. I won't have time soon, I'm expecting my 1st baby in March:D

pugfish

AC Members
Feb 25, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
Dangerdoll- Thanks! :D
BTW, Did you have any recommendations as to what to put in my 29gal with my Angel. "She"(don't really know gender) is about 4 inches or so and about 2 or 3 yrs old. Can't quite remember when I got this tank. Memories going I guess. Anyway she is pretty slow so I definitely will take your advice and not put in the danios. What did you think of the cherry barb suggestion? Or the Dwarf Gourami idea? I don't want another Angel as the last one picked on her and it really bothered me. I don't know why but I'm quite attached to this fish, more than I have ever been to any of my other fish. You seem to be an Angel officianado so I would really appreciate your opinion.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
ah thanks pug ;)

I've been fond of the Angels for about 8 years now and usually like them to be the main focus of the tank. Currently I have a few Zebra Angels that are unbelievably gorgeous and definite spotlights and beauties for the tank.
From my own experience, I can't really say too much about the barbs or the guarami with the Angels, I've never tried either combo with mine though I'll have to say I've heard many good things about the cherries. Angels are a cichlid, therefore may do well with different types of the many South American and West African dwarf cichlids, there's many to choose from and the many different colors would dress the tank up nicely. Before you decide on which you'll be adding, be sure to do your homework and research as much as you can. Knowing the temperment of your Angel, I'm sure after watching for a couple days (just to be safe), you will notice her behavior if any of these seem to bother her if you try either route, just be sure your other tank is up and running (cycled) in case your Angel finds them to be too much for her and you need to get them out of the tank. You'll know this if you notice her behavior change negatively (I'm sure you're well aware of this).
I've have had different corydoras (and still do) as well as a red tailed shark and some skunk loaches with mine and everyone seems fine. I've had some Bolivian Rams and Pandurini's at one time and they seemed to do well too. I plan on getting some Blue Rams in the future, as the color splash of them is pretty nice.
The trick with the shark is it's got to be provided with a cave of some sort in order for him to keep to himself. I've always had him with the Angels and have never had a problem with the two but have always had a cave he called his home. This passivity varies from RTS to RTS though so if you get one of these, watch her still. I used to have a couple dwarf puffers in with my angels but if you try that route, beware as the puffers may be more trouble then they're worth with the Angel. The are individually characteristic in fin-nipping (that's the rep some have though mine weren't) and should be watched carefully. I guess all in all, with the exception of the cories, you should add other fish with caution as she's probably a bit more sensitive than the average Angel. Just make sure you don't try any of the smaller tetras such as the neons, as you may see them dwindle off, they are a natural prey for the Angel regardless of the temperment, it's just too risky with them. Hope this helps and by all means, let me know if you need any more help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store