29gal 1 angelfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pugfish

AC Members
Feb 25, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
Well, We went fish "shopping" today. Just seeing what was available at the local shops. I was going to add 3 of the otos, but for some reason I only ended up with one. I probably will add a couple more soon.
The only thing is the Angel (using the term loosely) has taken quite an interest in the poor oto. She actually was pecking "him". I interfered by distracting her by wagging my finger at her through the open lid of the tank. Meanwhile the oto managed to find a hiding space. The angel seems to be on the prowl now. Now I'm debating whether to take this fish back instead of buying 2 more. I would hate to see her peck it or harrass it to death. Well I learned one thing. She is definitely more aggressive than I gave her credit for. Now that she doesn't have the other Angel to pay attention to. That will definitely influence my decisions on future tankmates....Perhaps I should look at bigger fish. Maybe the cherry barbs and the otos are too small? Perhaps an Oscar would be more her speed. lol
I don't suppose it would be very nice to keep her alone in my 15 gal (13"long x 13" wide x 21"tall approximately). Nope, out of the question. She wouldn't be happy at all being cramped like that. I don't really want a lone Angel in my 29 gal either...hhmmm??

Dapple2

AC Members
Jul 3, 2003
Oregon
pictures.care2.com
Hmmm...maybe you could exchange the otos for a bristlenose. They have bigger spikys at least. They cherry barbs are speedy lil guys, the angel might chase them, but they'll give her a workout!

Even speedier might be pearl danios...they aren't *quite* as schitzoid as the zebras IME

Captain Hook

Looking for ideas
Aug 21, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
The guy at Big Al's told me Ottos have hard protective back so it might be ok. I do know that ottos like have company so maybe getting 2 or 3 more wouldn't hurt. I think they stay pretty small.

I can't speak from experience regarding angels because I have never kept them. However, in my 35 gallon now I have gouramies (1 gold, blue varities I think opaline & 3 spot not sure tho) with 3 platies, 3 barbs (can't remember name for some reason, metallic & 1 is long fin), 3 danios, and a red fin shark. All fish get along fine.

pugfish

AC Members
Feb 25, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
Well I went to the store and got 5 cherry barbs. They are pretty small but they will grow to be 2". Well the angelfish is thrilled. Now she has 6 fish to chase, and she definitely is getting her workout. I'm not sure how the other fish like it, but I'm hoping that they will adjust. At least now she isn't focused on just the one poor fish. I seriously doubt now that the danios would have stressed her she seems to be having a blast flying all over the tank chasing those cherry barbs and the otto. My "sweet" angel is showing her true colors.
I'm going to get some more oto's but I thought that I better wait until my tank has had time to adjust. I think that I will have to be pretty diligent with my tank changes over the next couple of weeks so that adding the new fish doesn't overload it. I also am thinking about getting a dwarf gourami and some corys. Just not sure what variety. The little ones make me nervous because I worry I will squish them or suck them up when I vacuum. :eek:

pugfish

AC Members
Feb 25, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to thank you for all your help. My tank is working out perfectly. The cherry barbs were a very good addition to my tank. All the fish have settled in and make a very entertaining attractive "community". The Angel no longer is harrassing anyone, although if anyone gets to close she "tells" them to get lost but without much of a chase and she isn't nipping at anyone. The poor otto did try to join up with the cherry barbs but they would have none of it and chased him away. I will add 2 more soon and then he will be happy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store