3 fish dead...please help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sparkxx

AC Members
Jan 30, 2010
Scotland *shivers*
welcome mate ;)

crank the heat up also, it quickens the little spots
also how about once the ich is gone and the cory is back in getting him some buds? they like to school :)
wait some days and get maybe a nice small fish like a betta :) so maybe you could stock the tank like this:

1 female betta
4-5 cories

Last edited:

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
I would crank the temp in the tank to 90 degrees F with no fish for at least 4 days. The increase in temperature increases the life cycle of the bacteria. Ich has a life cycle and once the spots fall off the fish they incubate in the gravel and create tons more spores. When these spores are in the swimming phase is the only time that medication or salt can hurt the bacteria. If the bacteria doesn't find a host within 3 days it'll die. So to be on the safe side i would still wait 4 days.

Bgolfer88

AC Members
Feb 17, 2010
Virginia
One big issue!!!!!!!! Don't use sea salt!!!! This is different than aquarium salt which has some additives in it. Ich clear can work but here is the catch 22, from my experience it will either cure or kill your fish. Antibotics and other meds are the second line of defense for me. ALWAYS START W/ SALT. For ich a double dose of salt would be completely reasonable but be careful of any scaleless fish u may have (plecos etc) even tho I know you don't have anything like this.
Some aquarists don't use salt all the time but I think a normal dose is a good preventative measure for any disease/illness.
Lastly (and I think it was mentioned before) vacuum the gravel out and do a 50% water change to improve water quality.
One thing that has really helped me. You can buy 'ammonia monitors' that go on the inside of your tank and last for months fairly inexpersively ($12ish). It will help you keep an eye on things. And always remember your weekly water changes!
Hope this helps, I don't mean to sound too preachy =p

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
oops. took me too long to type. what everyone above me with faster fingers already said +1!

Dobby14

AC Members
Nov 30, 2010
welcome mate ;)

crank the heat up also, it quickens the little spots
also how about once the ich is gone and the cory is back in getting him some buds? they like to school :)
wait some days and get maybe a nice small fish like a betta :) so maybe you could stock the tank like this:

1 female betta
4-5 cories
Thanks for the advice. I just hope the lone remaining cory can survive in his makeshift tank for a night or two. I would take him home, but its a long ride AND I have two cats. You think he might be okay for at least a day in a 2 liter pitcher w/ gravel and food?

Sparkxx

AC Members
Jan 30, 2010
Scotland *shivers*
I don't know actually :/ if you keep him in your room and do maybe a water change every day (only 30%) he would be pretty ok
but I don't know

sandstorm320

Let's Go Red Wings!
Sep 9, 2010
Windsor Canada
If it's just a couple of days you may want to cut down on feeding while he's in the pitcher because more food leads to more waste and lower water quality. Your fish should be fine if you change the water often and it's only for a 4-5 day period while you treat the ich. I also agree with Sparkxx that a betta and 4-5 cories would make a nice 10g tank.

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
Stocking is your main problem. Don't let anyone put any more goldies in there, explain to them that goldfish get very big (around 12 inches) and need a huge tank. 3 cories, a betta, and maybe a nerite snail for algae would work well for a 10g. If you continue to do the 25% water change per week then you should be fine as long as you don't over feed them. Only feed what they can eat in 3 minutes.

As for the ich, salt and heat will work. The cory should not have heat over 85 degrees during treatment (some species can't tolerate above that).
How do you know for sure that it is ich? Does the cory curently have small salt like white spots?

Dobby14

AC Members
Nov 30, 2010
Thank you to all! I will post outcome by week's end. Hopefully, it will be positive. Appreciate all your advice and am taking extra steps to make sure the little cory makes it through all this. Peace & Happy Holidays!

Sparkxx

AC Members
Jan 30, 2010
Scotland *shivers*
good luck mate!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store