3 fish dead...please help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dobby14

AC Members
Nov 30, 2010
good luck mate!
Hello friends! Thanks you again for all your advice. My little cory cat ("Dobby") survived his stint in the water pitcher, but I was loathe to leave him there another day. I went to the local pet store and they determined my ammonia levels were too high. I did a 30% water change and added appropriate treatements and returned the little guy to his tank. I have now added 2 more cory cats (Cpt Jack & Winky) & a lovely & shy female Betta (Minka). They all seem quite happy and did well overnight. I have a heater for them and I am putting the hood light on a timer for the weekend. Next week, I was thinking of adding another female Betta. Any thoughts? Oh, and do i just give the Betta an extra pellet or two? I don't want to overfeed. Thanks again.

wackorash84

AC Members
Nov 3, 2010
UK
Betta are quite notorious with territory. Even females, anymore more than one, you need to be very careful!

Sparkxx

AC Members
Jan 30, 2010
Scotland *shivers*
I would not recommend more than one I'm afraid, they are pretty but evil sometimes lol

EDIT: I also agree with the post

Dobby14

AC Members
Nov 30, 2010
Yikes...she seems lonely tho. Someone mentioned a guppy, and someone else said a molly, but do you folks have any suggestions? And I was thinking I should get a plant? All input will be considered...thanks! :)

vanillaXtiffy

AC Members
Nov 28, 2008
Virginia
Real Name
Nilla
Hi, nice to see you got the ich under control and I'm sorry about your goldies! I wouldn't add a guppy because they seem to be hit or miss with bettas, even females. Mollies also get kinda big so I wouldn't suggest those in a 10g. Your betta is probably not lonely, they do quite well on their own and you don't want to add too many fish to your tank.

wackorash84

AC Members
Nov 3, 2010
UK
Yikes...she seems lonely tho. Someone mentioned a guppy, and someone else said a molly, but do you folks have any suggestions? And I was thinking I should get a plant? All input will be considered...thanks! :)
I would recommend only having the 1 Betta that you already have in tank.

Due to Betta being quite territorial, any other fishes that would be considered encrouching it's territory/area would be killed, or chased/stressed till it also dies. Guppies/Molies/Platies are all pretty/colourful and middle/high dwellers that the Betta might consider as a threat. Some people has had success but with tanks that have loads of hide out for the other fishes.

Cory cats are considered as bottom dwellers and they would predominantly just swim about the bottom fuffing about. The Betta don't really consider this area as their territory and would leave the cory cats alone.

So my suggestion would be the one Betta plus 4-6 Cory cats (they to have the tendency to favour life in groups).

Planted tanks would be a good idea if you can manage the maintenance. If not maintained well, they will just add more bio load to your aquarium.

Btw, I'm also looking to have my 2nd aquarium with a Betta and Corys..:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store