40G Long South American Sp.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I think i like the idea of running two fixtures 24" on a 48" long tank for two reasons: 1) there is no PAR prevention from the middle brace obstructing light 2) each half is independently lit so photo periods can be staggered to mimic sun light. .
Great points. I've got a 48" twin-tube T5HO on my 55 (w/ center brace). Never thought about a dead spot at the brace, but you don't notice it much with how the fluorescent throws out light. Problem with T5HO is the heat. Not a big deal in the winter for me, but I can see where the cool nature of LEDs would be a bonus for Hawaii heat/humidity. My tanks can hit low 80's easily in the summer. I keep them at ~72 the rest of the year.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
I don't think I've ever thought about using two 24" fixtures for a 48" tank.. I guess I just haven't cared enough whether or not the middle area has a slight "dark spot." Usually the middle of my tanks is more open so it doesn't matter anyway.

Good job on the stand, long as it hold up (which it looks like it should no problem!) and is level that's all you need it to do! And if you ever wanted to you could get some panels and close that bad boy up and make it look more like a traditional aquarium stand if you so desired..

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
I don't think I've ever thought about using two 24" fixtures for a 48" tank.. I guess I just haven't cared enough whether or not the middle area has a slight "dark spot." Usually the middle of my tanks is more open so it doesn't matter anyway
This is true. The middle of my tank is mostly bare as well. The idea of running two light fixtures came to me because I did not have enough money to buy a 48" fixture and I all ready had the 24 inch fixture that was on the 29gallon tank. I hope to upgrade sometime in the near future (just read some articles on the Aquaray Growbeam). All of my smaller tanks need to be upgraded to LED too because as of now they are all running DIY lights (except one that has a clip on LED that is not really made for plant growth but is still doing a decent job). So, when the time comes and I have enough money for a 49" fixture, then I can place the 2 CS+ fixtures on each one of my 10 gallon tanks :)
Good job on the stand, long as it hold up (which it looks like it should no problem!) and is level that's all you need it to do! And if you ever wanted to you could get some panels and close that bad boy up and make it look more like a traditional aquarium stand if you so desired..
I have been toying with the idea of adding panels and hinges so that it becomes a functioning cabinet, but I am also thinking of making another shelf in between the top and base. I would use the shelf to hold my 29 gallon tank that I want to turn into a Bufo marinus terrarium.
Here are some pics of the moon light setting:
1219132228.jpg1219132229.jpg

1219132228.jpg 1219132229.jpg

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Real Name
Huapala
[video=youtube_share;hOxMtWG0MYs]http://youtu.be/hOxMtWG0MYs[/video]
Fauna:
Pristella maxillaris
Corydoras paleatus
Otocinclus sp.
Microgeophagus ramirezi
assorted snails

Flora (taxonomy coming soon):
Dwarf sag
Micro sword
Cobomba
Jungle val
Spiralis
Red flame
Christmas moss

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Looks great man! I just recently filled my 40B after a horrible incident. What do you plan on stocking yours with?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Real Name
Huapala
Looks great man! I just recently filled my 40B after a horrible incident. What do you plan on stocking yours with?

Thanks ktrom. I all ready have the tank stocked with 8Xray tetra, 5peppered cory, 4 otocinclus, 1 gold ram i will be adding:
3 oto, 4 xray tetra, 4 peppered cory
I am curious, what happened to your 40g b?

Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
In all honesty i have no idea. One day everything was perfect then all of a sudden all my fish died :/ so that instantly told me to check my params and they read perfect ( 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 40 nitrate). So i emptied washed everything out bleached everything and rinsed real well. If anything i think it might have been the Febreze i used in my room. But im not going to let that incident phase me. So i moved on and im trying new things ( plants mostly) ill eventually make a thread of it once everything evens out in that tank.
Anyways, great stock choice. I need a aquatic green thumb like you!

Loach guy

Loach guy
Dec 20, 2013
Michigan
Real Name
Scott
Hey huapala,

I am going to be setting up a 40 long in the spring, because I too live in an apartment. I and going to substrate it almost exactly like yours. The stand looks good enough. We can only do so much in an apartment. I get that for sure. Good work on everything! It's amazing how fast a tank can come together if you have a plan. Don't worry about changing your mind on things. Even the most experienced will stare at their tank and decide to go in a a different direction. That's the great thing about the hobby. A tank is never truly done until we get lazy...lol...Happy hollidays!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store