4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nc0gnet0

Discus Breeder
Oct 31, 2009
Grand Rapids
Real Name
Rick
Drain down on its own as in through the leak? Wouldn't that cause excesive moisture to be absorbed into the wood?

If it is indeed a leak caused by pressure/weight causing the structure to flex, I am not sure any amount of coating will fix the problem, unless this stuff has a decent amount of elasticity to it. I am really hoping you find a pin hole or something as the cause of the leak. Otherwise EDPM maybe your only option. Is there anyway of adding additional support under the floor?

if you had to fathom a guess Pete, where do you think the leak is most likely?

Last edited:

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
The higher the water level the more leverage placed on the structure. Leak most likely is higher based on logic of leak relation to height, but could also be due to increased levered separation stress on wall due water level height increasing both stress and pressure exerted on bottom. I would not let it drain on its own unless you are confident the leak will not lead to split seam. But letting it bleed down and stop on its own will tell you one of two things that the leak is the lowered height it stops leaking or if it leaks lower then it originally did not leak, that the structure is being compromised by stress and making new leaks as water height increases, not from pressure but from structueral chages breaking the seal especially if that seal does not stretch a little lite a fabric liner.

aquanooby

AC Members
Jul 24, 2009
columbia South carolina
Real Name
lew
Man what a bummer pete I wish you luck in getting this resolved

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Decided against letting it drain down on its own. 180 gallons draining at a snail's pace would take weeks and evaporation would offset the accuracy. I didn't like the idea of the wood staying wet that long either. Drained it. Going to coat a 12" band from the base of the acrylic to the 30" mark around the entire tank, let it dry, then try again.

DSCN0073.JPG DSCN0074.JPG DSCN0075.JPG DSCN0076.JPG DSCN0077.JPG DSCN0078.JPG

Last edited:

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
Still no clue where its commin from?

nc0gnet0

Discus Breeder
Oct 31, 2009
Grand Rapids
Real Name
Rick
Fingers crossed for you Pete.

But, the question I am curious about is if you don't specifically locate the actuall spot of the leak, are you going to trust it long term even if succesfull? It's one thing to be doing this prior to adding fish, it would be a royal PITA after the fact.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I trust the Permadri without question. It's my coverage and application that is the problem. Not the product. It's tried and true and has 850% elasticity. If there's a problem, it's my fault not the product.

xsdbs

AC Members
Oct 16, 2006
good luck and finding and fixing the leak.
I have a question on those uni seals. It appears that you drill a hole and place these seals inside the holes and that they lip over the plastic container and then the PVC tube is placed thru the uni seal. My question, is this a pressure fit with no adhesive between the PVC and the uni seal? Do I just come thru the uni seal and then have a fitting outside the seal? Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store