47g Column Project - Tank Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

horner420

AC Members
Feb 27, 2005
SE Pa, 19547
How deep? Have a 60gal tall and I wish I had got a short tank. Hard to reach bottom. Get a foot stool....:)
45d3e91f-bbdd-4be0-ba93-0105a4d14e99
1.03.0145d3e91f-bbdd-4be0-ba93-0105a4d14e99

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
looks really nice! Good luck!

deutsche20V

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
Frederick, MD
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Stefan
thanks everyone, its coming along pretty well I think. Here's a more recent shot (I have since cleaned the back wall and powerheads):

AquaMaxx is one of the better brands. If I remember correctly, their design was basically from the Warner Marine HOBs that were discontinued, which were also good skimmers.
Yeah, I've been doing some reading and it seems like the issue is due to my use of Aquastik epoxy in building my rock column; not the skimmer. I'll do another w/c this weekend when I get the chance and try the skimmer again.

How deep? Have a 60gal tall and I wish I had got a short tank. Hard to reach bottom. Get a foot stool....:)
30" tall/deep (20"x18"x30" total). Definately a little inconvenient but it looks awesome to me. I'm obsessed with bichirs so all of my tanks previously have been about maximizing the footprint - its kinda nice to look at totally different tank now. I do have to break out the stepstool pretty much anytime I mess with the tank though and I'm 6'1 :)

Finally, is this the dreaded aiptasia?

It doesn't quite match the pics I've found online, but I dunno what else it could be.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Yep, feather duster. If you wave you hand past it it will pop back in its hole really fast. Aiptasia will do that too but not nearly as quick as a duster. Tank looks great!

deutsche20V

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
Frederick, MD
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Stefan
Awesome, thats a relief! Thanks :thumbsup:

a1t2o

AC Members
Sep 14, 2010
Mankato, MN
How deep is that sand bed? Are you going for the DSB? Pic is a little dark at the bottom so hard to tell. You might also want to point a power head upward to break the surface, rather than that one at the surface pointing down. You could just place that one lower and point it at the same spot from a lower position and then the water would continue to the top, depends on how it deflects though. You want to see some ripples.

I really like the setup though, good job stacking that rock I know it can get tricky sometimes.

deutsche20V

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
Frederick, MD
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Stefan

Yup, I'm going for a DSB. Its a little uneven, but its right around the 4-5" depth I wanted. I am seeing some ripples on the surface with the powerheads where they are. I will keep the idea in mind, but I think once the skimmer is up and running there will be plenty of surface agitation. I dunno, planning on dialing that stuff in this weekend so I'll see how it goes.

The rock was a pain! I've never aquascaped with rock before and trying to achieve the vision I had with a limited number of oddly shaped rocks was pretty infuriating. Definately not my favorite part of the project :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store