47g Column Project - Tank Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

deutsche20V

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
Frederick, MD
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Stefan
Well I did another 5g w/c and started the skimmer up again - still going crazy. Its been 8 days since I used the epoxy; I hoped things would be settling down by now. Here's a couple of pics of the situation...

No matter how high I raise the cup I'm getting the same result. Guess I'll just have to do a couple more waterchanges this weekend and try to ride it out.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
were you successful with your skimmer issues?

deutsche20V

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
Frederick, MD
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Stefan
More pics!
Soon :D I'll try to update this weekend.

were you successful with your skimmer issues?
Not yet. However I did figure out that putting a paper towel on top of the collection cup prevents the overflow splashing on my freshly painted wall. Small victory. I think I just need to keep doing waterchanges but I haven't had much time and it sucks wasting all that Tropic Marin salt that I WAAYYY overpaid for.

deutsche20V

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
Frederick, MD
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Stefan
I wasn't planning on jumping right into stocking, but my parameters checked out and I was under a bit of pressure to have something in the tank by my son's birthday party (nov. 6th) so I caved and picked up a few Turbo snails. Not much algae on the glass yet, but they've been enjoying the rock pile atleast.

Also, I came home today to see my glass covered in tiny white things which I believe I have identified as Hydroid Jellys, as well as an unbelievable number of green/brown thread-like objects which I cannot identify. Both can be seen with the snail below.

Any ideas?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Definitely hydroids and the strands are just algae. If you find your turbos looking for food you can rubberband some nori on to a rock.

deutsche20V

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
Frederick, MD
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Stefan
Definitely hydroids and the strands are just algae. If you find your turbos looking for food you can rubberband some nori on to a rock.
Thanks greech! I was actually thinking about Nori since I've heard people feed it to tangs and other herbivores but I wasn't sure it would be appropriate for the snails since its a macroalgae rather than a microalgae. Guess I'll give it a try and see how it goes. :cheers:

I was expecting an algae outbreak so its good to hear thats what I'm seeing. I've just never seen it manifest as individual strands so widely spaced, so I was a bit confused/concerned. As for the hydroids, do you have any experience with them? Tonight I've read that they are harmless or they can cause blisters on your arm, that the population will decline as the tank matures or it will explode like wildfire. Just trying to sort out the truth about these guys.

Nice tank! Been watching the thread - can't wait to see how it progresses!
Awesome! Love the tank
I really appreciate it! I'll try to update the thread as much as possible :thumbsup:

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I am no expert on these. I also had them early on and many often do when they start up a tank. When I ID'd mine I really could not find anything definitive on their life cycle, food sources, etc. What I did see fairly consistently is that they do not seem to last long or tend to reoccur once they disipate. I would imagine they starve themselves out after they exhaust whatever their food supply is in the aquarium. I also believe there are different species of these hydroids in the medusa stage so that complicates things a bit further. Some have reported a stinging sensation on their arms after having their arms in tanks with these but it may be that those individuals were more sensative. I think they would only be a problem to other livestock if they were able to suatiain a significant population. They can be easily siphoned out using a siphon line or a turkey baster should you feel the need to remove them or reduce their numbers. I really don't think you will have a problem with these. I cannot recall reading a single post or article that indicated any negative issues with them.

Maybe Amp or Ace can chime in with a bit more info but I belive these are just one of those animals that we just don't have enough information on when it comes to their life cycle in captivity.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store