55 gallon tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
i have researched! ive researched with breeders ive researched with sites ive researched on forums. i DO researched. i guess illl take the BP back. i researched them at the baginning of my hobby but i guess sites are wrong and yall are right.
Yes, but the thing with cichlids is that they have such huge personalities, you can never predict whst will be the outcome. Your cutteri and BP could be best friends, or they could be mortal enemies. You could do a 55, but since its cichlids, you never know.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
at the biginning of this thread i was suggested a firemouth cichlid. i dont think a blood parrot is anymore aggressive then a firmouth. ive been on a BP forum, and most parrots arent very aggressive. if i do see a problem i can remove the parrots and take him back to petsmart, and maybe get a firemouth. would dithers be a good idea to add to destract the cichlids? i have a family friend that has 2 BP's 1 convict and a high fin pleco and nothing bad has happened in his tank.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
the only problem is see is the possibility of inbreeding between the BP and cutteri.
Aint gonna happen.

Ok, so if your sure it would work, then go for it. We cant force you not to.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
Aint gonna happen.

Ok, so if your sure it would work, then go for it. We cant force you not to.
what isnt going to happen? blood parrots cant breed with eachother bc either the eggs are infertile or his sperm is anyway, if you get the gender that isnt infertile(cant remember which one) then it can inbreed with other fish.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
what isnt going to happen? blood parrots cant breed with eachother bc either the eggs are infertile or his sperm is anyway, if you get the gender that isnt infertile(cant remember which one) then it can inbreed with other fish.
Because theres a 50% chance you will get a fertile one, and since therers 2 cutteri, youve already got a pair.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
Oh, and how do they get new specimens i to the hobby if they cant breed? Thats interesting... :)

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
Because theres a 50% chance you will get a fertile one, and since therers 2 cutteri, youve already got a pair.
well it really depends on if i have a boy or a girl. ill have to read up on that.

Oh, and how do they get new specimens i to the hobby if they cant breed? Thats interesting... :)
they breed the two fish that originally made the blood parrot. i guess

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Ok we gave you advice but you keep trying to change your stocking by adding other aggressive cichlids. If you want advice, pay attention to it. Forums are not always right so information is not always true. You say a BP is not aggressive as a firemouth but you don't even have any experience on them yet. How do you know they are not? I would think the dithers would become food once the cichlids get big and if they fit in their mouths. In my opinion, a 55 is just too small for all three cichlids. Maybe if you got a 75, it can work.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
im taking your advice into account. im on a cichlid forum and im going to find the forum with the blood parots. ill sell my xbox, and see if i can find a 75. if i cant ill go with a 55 and see how it goes. i can take the BP back if it doesnt work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store