55 gallon tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
i thought a blood parrot would be ok. atleast thats what lab_rat said. i wont introduce all fish at once then. i thought i could since i already have seeded flters, but ill wait. ive never heard of cichlids picking out plecos eyes and toddnbecka keep bristlenose with their cutteri pairs. blood parrots arent able to pick out there eyes bc of the shape of their mouths.
I said that stocking was ok for a 75 g, not a 55 g. Don't trying to be saying I said one thing when I said another. Crap like this makes me not want to help people. I thought you wanted to set up the tank properly, not just buy whatever looks cute and cram it in there. BP are messy, high bioload fish.

If you are going to keep the BP, it should be ok in a 55g with the cutteri pair and some dithers, but don't be getting any more cichlids for that tank. No angels, no sevs, no FM.

As far as cichlids picking out the eyes of plecs, it can happen but it's much more likely with mbuna. I have plecs in all of my cichlid tanks without issue, even with my jag.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
I said that stocking was ok for a 75 g, not a 55 g. Don't trying to be saying I said one thing when I said another. Crap like this makes me not want to help people. I thought you wanted to set up the tank properly, not just buy whatever looks cute and cram it in there. BP are messy, high bioload fish.

If you are going to keep the BP, it should be ok in a 55g with the cutteri pair and some dithers, but don't be getting any more cichlids for that tank. No angels, no sevs, no FM.

As far as cichlids picking out the eyes of plecs, it can happen but it's much more likely with mbuna. I have plecs in all of my cichlid tanks without issue, even with my jag.
sorry didnt mean to offend you. i didnt really remember if you said it b4 or after i said i was getting a 75. ok so you think it will work? ill look for a 75 but i havent been able to find one yet, but ill keep my eye out for one. thanks for the help lab_rat and sorry for offending you. how many white skirt tetras or bleeding heart tetras would you suggest? oh and something i forgot to mention, the BP isnt full grown yet if that matters so maybe itll grow up with its tank mates and be ok.

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
I think it will be ok as long as you don't get more cichlids. I'd go for a school of 10 tetras, but I tend to heavily stock. Also, stop changing tank size and asking for different recommendations. If you have a 55g ask for stocking recs on a 55g. If you have a 75g, ask for stocking recs for a 75g. Stop playing the hypothetical game. It's frustrating for those trying to give good advice and obviously it's confusing you.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
ok so final stock.
10-bleeding heart tetras or white skirt tetras
1-bristlenose pleco
2-cutteri
1-BP
Ill update on what size tank i get and then make a build thread.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
thanks!!!!! oh and ill upload pics of the BP and the cutteri tomorrow. the cuttery's colors are getting more distinct, but they are still pretty shy.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
i see the male more now, but now the BP is in hiding. how long does it usually take for cichlids to get used to you? the BP attacked my finger in the store. also my cutteri wont eat the hikari medium floating cdichlid pellets. is it bc they need to sink or bc they just dont like them?

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
Medium hikari pellets are way too big for cutteri. My pair is full grown and are still not big enough for medium pellets. Try feeding a 1 mm sinking pellet. As far as how long cichlids will be shy for, the answer depends on many factors. How busy the room is, how loud, how much cover there is, dithers, etc all make a huge difference. The quieter the room, more cover in the tank, and having dithers will make cichlids more comfortable.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
well i dont know what size the pellets are my new BP is smaller then the male cutteri and he eats them fine. they are hikari gold cichlid pellets

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store