6 gallon tank...too small for cichlids?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

HolyBull

AC Members
Dec 26, 2005
My friend has kept a male Honduran Red Point in an Eclipse 6 for a while now along with 2 albino corys.

From a 1 inch fry to what is now 6 inches.

A2B-Civic

Registered Member
Feb 25, 2006
I have an Eclipse 6 too.

I went to another shop today, I saw some cichlids by the name of lamprologus C something or S something... (I didn't have a pen) or did I write lamprologus "Brevis" shellies....as I was just going to check out that shop to see what they had.. I am going to go back tomorrow..... if it is....then I am going to be one happy man. minus the fact they are $24 each?! :sad:

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
Lamprologus ocellatus?

Lamprologus compressiceps?

Lamprologus callipterus

Lamprologus caudopunctatus

Lamprologus calliurus

Lamprologus signatus

Here, check this out
http://www.shelldwellers.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=b5e622d9223dc63dabc9283b6e93ded9&board=3.0

Some are doable in a six gallon, others are most definetally not.

Yes the multis will spawn, but once the area becomes to cramped they either stop spawning or eat the babies before the next spawn occurs. You could keep a pair and four or five babies untill they get bigger, then just remove the shells with the babies in them. Trade them in for free fish food or something. They're just so much more interesting to watch than any of the other shelldwellers.

Last edited:

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
I agree with Moo on the interest value of the multis.....I had a trio of brevis which I had traded in for the stappersi I now have...because the brevis were just....well.....DULL ! LOL...all they did was hang around next to thier shell...in fact...the female spent about 98% of her time IN the shell ! She only came out to eat. Though, they are a VERY pretty fish and splay thier fins often in display.

24$ is ALOT to spend on a shellie...! I payed 7$ each for mine !

A2B-Civic

Registered Member
Feb 25, 2006
**Update!!**

Good news. I found my fish.

I found another store that has the Lamp. Brevis. For $5 dollars! :clap:

I managed to get...............................1 Betta!

Just because my tank hasn't been cycled yet.

I am going to add some water conditioners and wait a couple of weeks, then the Betta is going straight into a bowl.

Its sooo hard stocking a 6 gallon tank...seems like all I can fit much in it...so, after 2 brevis.....what else can I throw in there and maintain peace?

Last edited:

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
That's it. you're looking at 5-6in of fish if you get a full grown pair. In a tank that small the whole tank will be the territory (even with brevis). Anything else in the tank will get beat on. Good luck. Remeber to make the substrate sand (black or a mix of black and white will look much better than white alone)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store