6 gallon tank...too small for cichlids?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
Omega said:
Sorry, cannot keep cichlids in a six-gallon.

Stick with the betta only.
Sorry, but you can. Please do some research on dwarf cichlids before making blanket statements like that. Professional breeders of Dwarf cichlids routinely keep and breed pairs in 5 1/2 gallon tanks. I wouldn't reccomend this (since violence can erupt suddenly and without warning when spawning occurs), but a single male can certainly be maintained in a well landscaped 6g. And then there's the shellies.....................

Last edited:

Omega

Clowning Around
Dec 29, 2005
Surrey, BC, Canada
mooman said:
Sorry, but you can. Please do some research on dwarf cichlids before making blanket statements like that. Professional breeders of Dwarf cichlids routinely keep and breed pairs in 5 1/2 gallon tanks. I wouldn't reccomend this (since violence can erupt suddenly and without warning when spawning occurs), but a single male can certainly be maintained in a well landscaped 6g. And then there's the shellies.....................
I did do some research. The fish he wants to keep grow to 2.5 inches.

How would you like to be locked up in a closet for life without a mate based on the reasoning that as long as you're fed and your waste is removed, you can live. Surviving isn't the same as thriving, my friend.

Somebody in this thread already said it best... shellies should be kept in a minimum of 20 gallons.

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
Brevis have the smallest territories of any cichlid. It's literally a circle around thier shell about 6 inces in diameter. Once they bury thier shells they hardly ever leave this territory.

As for the "being locked in a closet" comment, I see from your other posts that you have kept African Cichlids and saltwater fish in large tanks. Some of these fish have HUGE territories. Some I'm sure range over several square miles of reef or lake. How is putting a male apisto in a tank 1/5th the size of his natural territrory any worse than putting a Hap in a 180g tank? We all keep fish in areas MUCH smaller than what they would typically inhabit in nature. In this case (Brevis in a 6g) you would actually be giving the fish exactly the space it would occupy in nature.

What is your definition of thriving? I would think attaining adult size and coloration, breeding, raising young, and displaying natural behaviors would be considered thriving. A pair of brevis would be able to do ALL these in a 6g tank.

Please don't take this post the wrong way. I'm not trying to be confrontational. Apporpriate tank size and stocking density is something that i'm sure no two hobbiests will ever 100% agree on.

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
I agree with Moo, keeping shellies (particular species) in a 6-gallon tank is okay not because of the size of the fish, but thier lifestyle. Give them more space and they still wont move around once they find thier spot. They will stick to thier shell and guard it relentlessly.

Granted, this is the BARE MINIMUM tank size for these fish and undoubtedly bigger is better, but it doesn't mean it cant be done and the fish cant live "happily".

Omega, have you ever kept shellies and witnessed thier behaviour first hand?

-Diana

Omega

Clowning Around
Dec 29, 2005
Surrey, BC, Canada
I understand that they keep close to their shell, but what about having such a small amount of water circulating? Seems too unstable and small to maintain really clean, hard, alkaline water. Also, in my reading I've noticed they can sometimes venture or even relocate. How about we meet in the middle... say 10-15 gallons? I'll concede that knowledgeable hobbyists can do it in 6 gallons though. I just don't understand why it's encouraged to anybody who asks.

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
I had a trio of brevis in Half a 10gallon tank...temporary quarters while I was waiting for a 15 to put the multis in, who were using the "Other" side of this 10....anyway............

The female was acually "IN" the shell about 98% of the time....only came out to eat. I have read other's who keep these fish and notice the same behavior...females actually living in their shell. The males sit just outside the shell at all times....only moving far enough to grab the nearest flake that drifts thier way.

A 6 seems more than addequate for these fish, as long as you have a good filter and do regular routine maintenance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store