65 gallon photo story ( 29 gallon disaster )

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
I have a CS6-2 on my 90, and it produces wonderful sludge. The ES series is less expensive, but supposedly just as good. If you can get it for $220-ish, go for it!

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
Do you think it would be powerfull enough, to ge the job done? I think I'm going to keep my three fish (midas blenny, two maroon clowns) and not get anyothers in the new tank... unless theres a purple tank thats really small and would get lost in a tank as big as 65gallon (I WISH)... so i there won't be too much waste... but with the sump factored in its probably just around 75gallons, which is the exact rating for the skimmer. I just took pictures of my 29gallon tank as/is right now, i think it looks very nice still... and i have a picture of my new empty tank so I'll get those posted asap. Thanks for the replies so far.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Although skimmer manufacturers tend to inflate their capacities, Euro-Reef is pretty good. It certainly wouldn't hurt to spend another 20 bucks and get an ES5-3.

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
i'll have to see what else they can get in, with out the discount they are alot more.

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
Euro Reef ES5-3 on hold!!!!!!! Picking it up next week... after I figure out my baffles my cycle will begin. I've read way to many posts and books and articles and my brain hurts I can't wait till at least something is underway with the tank. I'm going to run the skimmer in my bathtub for a few hours to make sure everything is alright and to clean it out... then once I finish my plumbing should I test the tank with freshwater??? Or just test it with salt. Still deciding what rating for a return pump to use with the megaflow/model. And what I want for substrate.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Great! You have my sympathy about wanting to get water in the tank. It took what seemed like a century until the first live rock went in.
I would test the plumbing with FW first. If you have to empty it in a hurry, SW is messier and more expensive.
I am using a mag 9 with the megaflow in my 90. There's a ball valve after the pump, so it can be throttled down if I want less flow.
My experience with the EuroReef was that it didn't skim much during the cycle, but went completely ape when the live rock went in. I had to shut it off for a day or two because it was overflowing with thin skimmate, even at the lowest setting. After that, it needed a little adjustment to get the level right, and has been filling the cup weekly with foul, thick glop ever since.

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
do you have to run the skimmer during the cycle? I was going to buy the powerheads but not use them and have the skimmer in the tank but not have it on until a few days before I went on a live rock spree (by that time... sigh it will be close to spring again!!!! and i'll have around 1000 watts over my tank hahahaha)... untill then I have to think of what i want for substrate... I want it to be an sps/clam tank so a high volume of current is my goal, without loosing all my sand into my overflow. Another thing is I dont know if i want a barebottom tank, and I dont know much about starboard(for those of you who know what that is). Then comes the question if i'm going to just keep a 29softie or mixed reef tank up and leave my clownfish in there since they are agressive I dont know how they will react to a new tank. right now the female has a grudge with my lettuce coral and seriously lifts it with her mouth and throws it, and i can't understand what it could have done to her! also both clowns wave the sand around with their tails and make my sand a sin(X) curve, if you know what i mean. up and down and up and down. I don't want that in my new tank either. SO..... long story short I may leave my clownfish in my 29gallon with all the soft corals I have in there now, and get all new live rock (all the soft corals are attached to rocks so there would be no easy way of reusing that rock in a 65gallon sps/clam tank becuase there would be softcorals all over the rocks!!!) :D Any recomendations for substrate in a high current tank?

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
heres a kina old pic... but better than nothing to show you my 29 gallon.... from 7/28/04

there is no more rbta or xenia polyps... and i took off the coraline algae, and the rocks are all different, I also have a brown cap and 3 pepermint shrimp and 2 skunk cleaner shrimp. (i said it wasn't that good of a representation, but close enough :) )

Last edited:

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
im just glad to see a feather duster in that tank. i was beginning to think i was the only person who thought that they were worth having.

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
I have two!!! Theres a purple one on the left (middle) and a hawaiian one on the right (middle). I know alot of people like to keep them in their sumps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store