75 gal Setup Progession

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
also the steel wool doesn't rust. is it still a no-no to use? and can my filter run with the steel wool until i get nylon this weekend?

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
my socolofi, labs, and i'm going out the weekend after my b-day and my older sis is getting me some red zebras. =]

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
i've decided to just run the filter w/o bio media until i get a chance to get the nylon sponges because i was told that until then the lava will act in its place just fine. . . .

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
also, i know that i want as much filtration as possible for my cichlids, but the xP3 comes with a nozzel and a spray bar to dispense filtered water INTO the tank. which should i use? i also have a powerhead that will be in the tank.

southpaw

Lefty
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
also the steel wool doesn't rust. is it still a no-no to use? and can my filter run with the steel wool until i get nylon this weekend?
Dont put the steel wool in your filter.... either get some nylon pot scrubbers or get some bio-balls or something similar..... You can run the filter without anything it that tray for now if you just want to run it.

I am assuming you are going to do a fishy cycle if you are planning on adding fish on Feb. 25th since you wont have enough time for a fishless cycle unless you place alot of established media form your other tank into this one ...this way it might be cycled in 2-3 weeks. But you will have to have a source of ammonia to do fishless (either pure ammonia,add several small hardy fish or maybe a raw shrimp)

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
i was going to put in my guppies (and don't tell my grandma! SHHHHH! mumms the word) and then just take them out whenever she comes over. it just seems the best way to do it to me.

southpaw

Lefty
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
also, i know that i want as much filtration as possible for my cichlids, but the xP3 comes with a nozzel and a spray bar to dispense filtered water INTO the tank. which should i use? i also have a powerhead that will be in the tank.
That would basically be upto you as to what you want to use ...Filtration will be the same with either one...The spraybar will just help cut down on the water current as it spreads it out across a longer area instaed of all of it out in one spot.

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
i'd rather the spray bar since i already will have a powerhead creating a current for my fish, i was just curious if they'd like a bigger current. my powerhead pumps 200GPH.

southpaw

Lefty
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
i was going to put in my guppies (and don't tell my grandma! SHHHHH! mumms the word) and then just take them out whenever she comes over. it just seems the best way to do it to me.

I wont tell ;)

Just be sure to move over some filter media from your other tank to help seed it (you could put it in the empty filter tray you have)...Also you can get a pair of new cheap pantyhose and cut one of the toe parts out about 6-8 inches up and fill it with gravel from your other tank and hang it over the inside edge of your new one to help transfer some good bacteria over too(you could also put the gravel in one of the filter trays if you have room).....this keeps you from getting gravel mixed in with your sand and makes it easier to take out when done cycling.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store