75 gal Setup Progession

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cheizy

AC Members
Apr 19, 2006
If you do a fishy cycle, make sure you keep up on your water params! you will see a lot of water changing my man..looks good though!

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
I wont tell ;)

Just be sure to move over some filter media from your other tank to help seed it (you could put it in the empty filter tray you have)...Also you can get a pair of new cheap pantyhose and cut one of the toe parts out about 6-8 inches up and fill it with gravel from your other tank and hang it over the inside edge of your new one to help transfer some good bacteria over too(you could also put the gravel in one of the filter trays if you have room).....this keeps you from getting gravel mixed in with your sand and makes it easier to take out when done cycling.
alright. i'll probably put some gravel into a cup and stick it under the suction thing of my filter. i was told that was a really good way to help seed the tank. am i right? as for the used filter cartridge i just switched them out a few days ago and threw the old one away! but the gravel thing will do just fine right? i'm using nylon scrubbies as my bio load collector thingy (you know what i mean). . . .

southpaw

Lefty
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
Thats fine...just move over as much gravel as you can...You could even put it in a large bowl and just sit it in your tank if you want to move several handfuls over.Then when done with it you can take the bowl and gravel out at the same time ;)

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
fill the bowl to the top? that's prolly wut i'll do.

southpaw

Lefty
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
As much as you want...

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
the more i have the quicker the tank will cycle?

southpaw

Lefty
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
The more established media/gravel you put in from a already cycled tank the faster your new tank will cycle as you are bringing good bacteria over from the cycled tank to the new one.

I cycled my wifes 29g in about 2 weeks by transfering a few handfuls of gravel and hanging it in some pantyhose and I also used one of the two filter cartridges from my filter and put in hers (mine and hers use the same replacement filters so it fit right in) Then I added pure ammonia to around 4ppm and just checked it everyday and added more as needed once it started dropping.

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
alright. i put 2 handfuls of gravel into a cup and set it under my suction part of the filter. the tank looks really nice with water in it and a few guppies swimming around. but it currently is a little cloudy. hope that clears up soon. =] it took a freaking long time to fill up that tank! and i don't have a heater in it yet. . . i'm planning on using the old one in my 29gal for the 75gal, but can the guppies survive cold water until then?

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
alright. what else can i do? should i just take out the guppies and let the tank cycle by itself with the gravel?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store