8" ciclid in 20 gal.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
dude, that's really no reason. that's like saying you won't get rid of your favorite shoes because you've had them so long, even though they're two sizes too small. the length of time you have a fish doesn't matter when you are unable to care for it properly. how do you think the fish feels? which is most important - missing you (and you missing the fish) or the fish living a longer and healthier life in a larger tank where it can actually grow and move around?

lucy42083

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Wappingers Falls, NY
I totally agree that is no reason at all. Why were you even asking if it would be ok in a 20G if you knew you weren't going to get a larger tank, and you weren't going to give it up?? You'd rather watch it die a slow death from stunting than just give it up now? Do you have a pic of your Oscar/tank?

graycolor

AC Members
Jun 29, 2008
I thought 20 gal. was enough.

graycolor

AC Members
Jun 29, 2008
Okay...so how do I find a home for it? What do I do?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Nicely put wata.

If you really care about the fish find it a new home. I knmow its tough but you have to do what is best for the fish...try the classifieds here, aquabid, or Craigslist. Make sure you know the buyers setup before going through with the sale.

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
Ya know, if you were to go swimming and all you could do is tread water and there wasn't enough room to even swim back and forth much, you probably wouldn't stay in the water very long because it would be pretty boring. Your oscar is living like that, the difference is it can't get out and find someplace roomier. You have to do that for him. If that means letting him go, then that is what you need to do.

I typed to slow. Good for you for doing the right thing.

lucy42083

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Wappingers Falls, NY
Good decision, the Oscar will be better off for it, and there are plenty of smaller fish you could keep in a 20G. Try the online classifieds/auction sites as jpappy said, and if you have a decent LFS around that stocks big cichlids you could try there too.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I think i can say for all of us, myself certainly included, that we don't mean to be harsh, but for the majority of us here a fish is like any other pet - cat, dog, horse, or reptile. while any of those animals could be a favorite or long-time pet, the most responsible thing we can do as pet owners is to meet the needs of the animals we keep as best we can. their lives are in our hands, literally. it is up to us to give them the best 'forever homes' possible, even if those homes are not ours. half of the battle is doing the research in the first place before we even get an animal (and also knowing how to tell the good sources of information from the bad/inaccurate sources) and the other half of the battle is being responsible enough to allow the animal's circumstances to change if we at some point stop being able to fulfill their needs.

while rehoming an animal, ANY animal, can be a difficult thing to do, it is not a shameful thing. it's something to be proud of, that you made the effort to find your pet a good home when it was no longer possible for you to provide one. if you can find your little oscar a new home or even get him a larger tank, pat on the back.

welcome to Aquaria Central. We're here to help.

the first thing you can try is our classified ad section. also register for monsterfishkeepers and see if anyone there will take him. there may be a craigslist for your area, put an ad there. it's free. or register on aquabid and post an auction that is local pick-up only. see if your local fish stores (LFS) will allow you to put up a flyer in their store that your fish is looking for a new home.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store