911! Black Moor w/many issues (mostly tank related, some physical)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Somervell: I cut down from three feedings a day to two, so it is certainly possible. And when people say "a pinch of food" I feel like the pinch is in the eye of the beholder. I wish it was more specific lol
I only feed mine once per day, and they have been healthy for years. I think that general advice is to feed as much as they eat in two or three minutes and remove the rest. I really like the Omega One mini pellets. They float only momentarily before sinking, which is helpful for goldfish with telescope eyes. I have also used Hikari, and like that too, but prefer Omega One. Both will let water remain very clear.

As to the biowheel, Penguin makes good HOB filters. I have used them with goldfish successfully. Right now, I have a H.O.T. magnum ( same basic principle-- also a Marineland product) and it works very well on a large tank.

tarryete

AC Members
Oct 9, 2011
South Carolina
Real Name
Christine
So I just bought (online) some Spirulina Pellets and a Marineland Penguin 150GPH filter. I am doing daily water changes and will see how this goes. I will update soon :-D

Thank you everyone!

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
:thumbsup:

I think is speak for many of us here and your little moor when I say: Thank YOU for having the interest in the well being of your fish to look us up here, ask questions, and (the truly rare and wonderful part) take advice and improve your fish's habitat appropriately. You'll find that in about 6 months when you and your fish know each other and you've developed and aquascaped your tank (and you've gotten 15 other tanks) that these little scaley buggers can bring a lot of peace and joy into your life.

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Once again, well spoken, Foz! Tarryete, the goldfish lovers on this board give you a virtual high five! Keep us posted. They should love the algae wafers-- I use them, too, and my fish love 'em.

tarryete

AC Members
Oct 9, 2011
South Carolina
Real Name
Christine
Thanks for that :p
I found this and wondered what you guys' opinions are on the 12th post down, by "Soldieroffortune1974"..
I have to say that the scotch pad idea sounds pretty appealing.. Because the most daunting thing past all the tank issues I am having is having to replace the filter and potentially murder the beneficial bacteria.

http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/filters-filtration/34712-changing-filter.html

tarryete

AC Members
Oct 9, 2011
South Carolina
Real Name
Christine
Here is the fish:

All those white spots are all on the inside of the tank.. The outside is spotless.
The fish looks totally black until you take a pic with flash.
And it seems really friendly. I keep wanting to call it a he, but what if I am wrong? lol

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
lol every fry i get is "he" because i'm a "he" and never developed a good theory of mind, but i name them all really girly names so that in case i'm wrong the name will still work lol. I have a male L183 pleco named snowflake...just think the "boy named sue" song by Cash.

PS. I just go to petco and once every 6 months or so buy a big roll of filter foam and a box of bioballs. Then i make all of my filter media for my 10 working filters out of about $10 of mats, I'm sure a foam dish washing pad would work...i just don't see the cost/risk ratio really paying off. And you want bio balls of some sort anyways...too valuable and whenever you change your foam media you can keep them and reuse them over and over and over and over and over again. They keep your cycle stable while swapping around mechanical filtration media.

tarryete

AC Members
Oct 9, 2011
South Carolina
Real Name
Christine
The water is WAY more clear now.
Also, the fish looks a lot happier. We are going to keep this up.
Ugh I say "we" like the fish is going to grab the siphon and clean his own gravel. LOL

What I was pointing out was not so much the sponge idea, but the scotch brite scrubbing pads.

I am asking because I want to know if that is a good idea to put just those in the small power filter and then use the regular filters (or your bio ball idea) in the 150GPH filter that is on the way. I think that what I am trying to achieve is more "surface area" for the beneficial bacteria to hold onto.

See? I have been reading.

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
Read the backaging very very carefully on those as they may contain detergents of some kind. Personally I would shy away from those and just buy a big sheet of filter media at the pet store like someone else mentioned. You just never know what chemicals, detergents, dyes they add to cleaning products and if they're harmful to fish. It'll be nice once you get a bigger tank to get him a friend(quarantine first, the 10gal would be perfect for that). Goldfish are pretty social fish and really enjoy the company of other goldies.

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
most of my filters don't have the manufacture media in them any more if that's what you're asking. I normally just pack them in with layered foam and bioballs until it starts to overflow and then take a few out so that there is absolutely as much surface area as can possibly be achieved, i don't really use chemical filtration (if that's what you mean by "regular filters") just mechanical and biological, so foam and bioballs everywhere.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store