99 Gallon Tank Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Interesting dimensions you guys have there.

With the overflow, you'll have to have a very high flow rate for the design to work and even then the water will likely either flow through the bottom intake or the top. The other will have limited or no flow at all. Water takes the path of least resistance which will be the top since there's no back pressure to keep it out.

There is a way to fix it though without scrapping the entire idea. You need to divide the box B into two sections. One half will have top overflow and the other half will have the lower intake pipe. You need a siphon tube from either side into your overflow box.

The reason this works and your design has limited functionality is that each side is independently siphoned. The surface skimming will be strong as will the bottom intake.

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Hello Nolapete,
Your comments are making sense. I've followed another journal on that one and figured it wouldn't hurt to try it.
But in case it's not working, can try your suggestion.

As for the siphon-tubes, what length should they be?
Any suggestions there?

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
'The other side' would be C then? My plan is to use tubes (PVC-pipes) that in both sides go at least to a depth of 'half way C'. Correct me if I'm wrong, but no matter how deep the siphon tubes go on either side:
- the level in B & C will always stay the same.
- the level in A & B will equalize and stop draining once water gets below the level of the overflow between C & E.
- the level in A will be higher than B & C as long as the return-pump keeps running.

Any misconceptions on those? Comments welcome, thanks all so far for the comments. Appreciate.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Longer on B side. The reason why is that you want to avoid any bubbles from the overflow at the top getting sucked into the tube. This can break the siphon and/or reduce flow.

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Took me about 2 years of learning and struggling to get that far on the 79G. But finally getting everything 'under control'...(until the next surprising road-block I guess).
Seems indeed that US-tank sizes are more deep than high. Here it's typically square at the sides. Length-standards are 150, 120, 90, 70, 50cm..
Would like to have more depth at times, but its ok. Tanks (glass) are very cheap here, that's good. The 99G cost me 4500 Thai Baht, which at that time translated to 100 USD.
That's including hood, stand and internal overflow filter.

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Nopalete, thanks for the info, will make sure that B-side will go down deep enough. C will likely be somewhere halfway it's tank. (that tank is drawn correct btw, it's about 30cm high.) So B at bottom C-tank length and C at half-way C-tank should do.
Likely I'm putting in two 1 inch siphons, better to have some safe-guarding there.
The return to the tank will be 4x 3/4 Inch pipes, 1 of them going through a CO-2 reactor and the other 3 straight.
Still undecided on the pump, but I'm looking at either 2 pumps in the sump or 1 external pump.

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Ok, finished some modelling on the background.
So far it's quite easy, basically lots of styrofoam and silicone plus a knife.
The pictures show the story, just a matter of cutting and breaking foam and glueing it with silicone.

There's one piece that I've used as a trial before with cement. Without any color-additions, I've got red and yellow to mix and get it more brown in color.
Final layers will be epoxy to seal everything though the cement should be waterproof already.

Quite surprised by the weight actually. The cement hardly adds anything to it.
Reassuring for later, not gonna be as heavy as normal concrete mix... ;-p

Anyhow, once the cement is on, the epoxy will get some sand mixed in to make it look better. Once done, we can finally start moving everything into place and get working on the sump.

By the way, as mentioned earlier, I've also installed the filter-return pipes. You'll see 3 returns with 2 outlets each. Still thinking about the fourth one. I have siliconed them into the styrofoam and they will be covered under the cement-layer. Once done, they'll be connected to the pump.

I'm again playing copy-cat to Gilles' design and ideas, but I guess that's what you're posting it for....heheee

IMGP6102.jpg IMGP6104.jpg IMGP6105.jpg IMGP6107.jpg IMGP6108.jpg IMGP6111.jpg IMGP6113.jpg IMGP6114.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store