A USDA Visit

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
So if I can ask a question--the USDA can just knock on your door to see snails that you purchased? That's just plain weird--I'd think they were trying to gain entrance to my house for other nefarious reasons. Or is that just me being paranoid?
if you have nothing to hide then there really is no point. they could always come back with what they need to force their way in.
Mg had the same thing a while ago didnt he?
yep they were checking for snails and plants.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Wow. I supose there is good reason for it then. They must do damage to ecosystems? Thanks Lupin!
Yes, the Marisa cornuarietis are plant eaters. Same with Pomacea canaliculata, insularums, haustrums and hybrid Asolene spixi.

Hmm.. so its possible that they might come to my house too because awhile ago, i also bought snails from someone on aquabid, and they included spixis.. they were in California. Oh no. o_o
If I know ya, you should have nothing to worry about.;)

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
That is the point I was trying to make about being a responsble hobbyist, not just selling and keeping but also purchasing responsibly.

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
Wow - I guess it could have been much worse - like an IRS audit!

OhNo123

AC Members
May 20, 2007
If I know ya, you should have nothing to worry about.;)
Lol, thanks Lupin. :D

But what I thought were cory eggs are actually spixi eggs. What do I do now?
I got them from my friend, and they look like they are going to hatch within the next week.. I can see the snails in the eggs.

But I believe that the spixi eggs are the only thing I have that the USDA would confiscate.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
If your friend is within the state, then it is not illegal. You can defend your actions and question them proof to source the spixis. I doubt they'll do it unless your friend got it from another person illegally but he cannot have recorded you anyway if you didn't buy them.

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
The thing with this shipper is they were including them in what they were calling regular rams, brigs, and MTS. They were not telling people that they were buying something illegal. So there are people out there that don't know they have something invasive and illegal.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
It could happen to anyone.....I live out in the boonies!!! They came from Pittsburgh....2 1/2 hours away just to check my tanks.
hey they are just 20 minutes away from me,..lol
i was just in pittsburgh today with hubby to the doctors,.. where are you at snoopy?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store