A" Victorian" Vivarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Personally I'm a big fan of set-ups that are vivs, but have a small pond + waterfall.

Lizardlandscapes on youtube is a great inspiration, I love his scaping videos.

keepsake

"Keep your pointy end to the wind."
Jun 3, 2011
wisconsin
After lots of searching I think I've come across just about all of my filter options:

Canister ( thnx Ian)- This would be by far the easiest but in the long run I think it would fall short of my needs.

Sump- I like the idea of more water volume and I'll be able to hide an acrylic stand pipe behind the root pretty easily. The only "problem" is the sump itself. This is a small house and floor space is at a premium. So, I'm going to man-up and drill through my maple floors (I know I can convince myself to do this) and set up a 29 gal. tank in the basement.

From what I've seen -FW protien skimmers, bio-balls, charcoal and filters. refugiums, and algae skimmers- I like the latter the best. I also like the idea of a refugium and thought the sump would be set up in this order- intake from tank flowing over scrubbber, baffle, refugium, baffle (in this area I would make space for heaters or CO2 diffusers if needed), and finally outflow back to tank. Do I need any more? Mechanical filtration? Any input here would be appreciated and give me the courage to drill through my floors- they already have patches- I know I can do it.

Thanks!

Last edited:

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
If you really wanted you could go brackish, with mudskippers or crabs. Not a very wide selection of plants though...

keepsake

"Keep your pointy end to the wind."
Jun 3, 2011
wisconsin
Yes, the SG required for the foam to form is too low in most FW tanks.
Right- that's why I rejected them, but it seemed there was some FW usage with needle wheels(?)- maybe they were really old posts. Any comments on my algae scrubber set-up?

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
i think what i like to call "veggie filters" are fantastic particularly in FW. An unlimited number of plants both above and below water line.
I would ship the sump unless you want an auto water changer?? While I agree that algae is great for SW mainly because there are no vascular plants . In FW there are thousands of choices.. I think if that tank were mine I wouldn't want to ruin the "furniture" look of it. So I'd go for some of the fantastic semi aquatic ferns and epiphytic mosses. More of a riparium gary

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
So what did you decide?? You could certainly make that in a fantastic "Wardian case" maybe even keep the lid with the proper plant selection.
Maybe PDF or geckoes?? gary

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
That's a really cool piece! I'd be afraid to ruin it, lol.

Is the top covered in screen? If you would like PDF's then you'll have to replace that with plexiglass to hold in humidity. They don't like a lot of air flow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store