Absolute best glass-cleaning/algae-eating fish species - please vote

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishkeeper71

AC Members
Oct 7, 2008
Midwest dweller
Well I agree Plecos and Chinese algae eaters along with snails do the work fairly well. However none are needed unless you are raising them. Most people I know always say buy a pleco and or algae eaters to keep the algae away. Algae can be kept in check and is usually a sign of problems in your bio system and should raise alarms unless your intentionally allowing it for certain fish species. But hands down Plecos seem to the best job but they tend to get too big especially if they have alot to eat, but in 30+ aquaria that is usually no prob.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Floatus magnicus all the way. I've had otos, several different plecos, and a bunch of different snails, none of them has completely alleviated the need to still scrape the glass.

Finley

AC Members
Floatus magnicus all the way. I've had otos, several different plecos, and a bunch of different snails, none of them has completely alleviated the need to still scrape the glass.
Um, pardon my ignorance, but what's that? I Googled it and came up with no info at all.

Ta :)

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
there is no replacement for elbow grease.

i buy my fish for aesthetic pleasure and to compliment my tanks.. not to take the place of manual labor.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Mag float... don't try to have a fish with a mind smaler than a lint ball solve a problem that you can't figure out. SCRUB.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store