Absolute DISASTER with neons

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
they are at 75, my water is definitely not soft. I just think its insane that they have been so vigarous and healthy the past five days and then tonight start going belly up. I have added two really large sponge filters with diffuses, its loud as crap down here now.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
I dunno. Neons are softwater, but they shouldnt be fine and happy and perky, then suddenly die. I would think if they had been having pH issues, they would have lost color first, not this insta death.
Is there any way something could have been knocked into your tank? None of the kids accidentally put something in?

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Ah, but wait, something in the water would affect the other fish.

I'm so confused.

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
The different sites also say that the wild caught neon can die from no apparent reason other than stress AND they can show no outward signs of it until they belly up and die. It says that almost all other fish kept with them will stress them unless they have someplace to "retreat" to and hide. I can't imagine hatchets and otos causing that much stress on them, but maybe between that and their long trip.

Kivstev

AC Members
Mar 19, 2009
I would gamble and throw some Metronidazole in there. Low risk drug...

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
That sucks Rachel :( I would just be freaking out watching that and nothing helps. It sure sounds like these were wild caught by way of an asian importer (? I think I read they came from an asian importer somewhere? another thread maybe?) so perhaps the double whammy of the long traveling and them being delicate wilds. It would be very awful to feel so helpless...horrible situation. I hope the deaths stop soon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store