AC fans vs. all others

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

how many of us are fans of AC's vs. other HOB's & canisters (with-w/o sponge filter)?

• AC's only

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • other HOB's only

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • canisters only

Votes: 16 16.2%
  • AC + other HOB

Votes: 10 10.1%
  • AC + canister

Votes: 42 42.4%
  • other HOB + canister

Votes: 16 16.2%

• Total voters

Geeky1

AC Members
Aug 18, 2003
California
Visit site
Personally, I flat refuse to use HOB filters on any of my tanks unless all other options are exhausted, and I usually recommend that people consider spending the money to upgrade to a canister. Considering that the cost difference between a decent size HOB and a decent size canister is usually only $100-150 (and sometimes less), I can't see any reason other than extreme budget constraints to choose to buy a HOB filter instead.

Mechanical filtration in HOBs is never going to be as good as a properly designed and installed canister. Because the media chamber in HOTs isn't pressurized, water can bypass the media and be returned to the tank unfiltered. Canister filters cannot do this. Their flow rate may drop, but in a correctly designed pressurized filter 100% of the water will be filtered before it's returned to the tank.

Canisters also tend to be quieter (unless you're running something like the Ocean Clears on my 400 with their fan cooled external pumps, at least), offer a larger volume for media and offer better flexibility with respect to media choices than HOB filters do. They're also less of an eyesore, and they reduce evaporation rates compared to HOB filters if the spray bar is installed correctly (under the water's surface).

Canisters are not the be-all, end-all of filtration; internal filters (of all kinds, including power filters and sponge filters) and UGFs still have applications. Trickle filters and algae scrubbers both have their place, as do UV sterilizers, skimmers and ozone injection. But I can't think of anything that HOB filters do that something else doesn't do better. They're a poor compromise with no redeeming qualities in my eyes other than relative ease of use, size and cost, and they're my absolute last resort when it comes to filtration.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
sorry don't think there was any error on owner part when the tubing collects all that debris/muck continuously even after cleaning the tubing. think that is poor design, aside from any bypass issues also.

Muck grows in tubing. That is a fact of life, and cleaning the tubing is part of proper canister maintenance, not a result of poor engineering.

KingOfTheDeep

All Hail The King
Nov 2, 2005
New York City
Real Name
Dan
i use ACs, marineland HOBs(emp 400) and sponge filters..i have nothing but love for all 3 :)

kenyi

Maylandia lombardoi
Jun 18, 2010
Northern VA
Real Name
Joe
On my 55 gallon I use a classic whisper 60 at 300gph (came with the tank; HOB), and I also use a mini canister and a RENA smartfilter 30.

I really like my RENA filter, and I think that the design is very well built, especially for an HOB. Iv'e never used an AC, but Iv'e actually come really close to buying one, and I think I will the next opportunity I have. I'm sure that they are fine HOBs, and although I would prefer a canister, I would feel fine using an AC, but I wonder if the RENA smartfilter is any better. I know that it's defiantly more expensive, but I do think that the design is well built. I'd defiantly be comfortable with an AC though.

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
Muck grows in tubing. That is a fact of life, and cleaning the tubing is part of proper canister maintenance, not a result of poor engineering.
so true. the fact of life is muck does occur & accumulates in the tubings (fluvals especially). so I forgo the more tedious canister maintenance vs AC hob's.

save $, easier cleaning, less chance of parts problems (read many past canister problems by other members), no priming issues.

made my choice early on when I found cleaning/maintaining canisters was such a hassle.

+ didn't hurt to save a few bucks (2 AC's = cost of 1 canister of similar gph)

also, picked up 5 ac70's for only $20 each from bigalsonline.com, what a deal!

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
Personally, I flat refuse to use HOB filters on any of my tanks unless all other options are exhausted, and I usually recommend that people consider spending the money to upgrade to a canister. Considering that the cost difference between a decent size HOB and a decent size canister is usually only $100-150 (and sometimes less), I can't see any reason other than extreme budget constraints to choose to buy a HOB filter instead.

Mechanical filtration in HOBs is never going to be as good as a properly designed and installed canister. Because the media chamber in HOTs isn't pressurized, water can bypass the media and be returned to the tank unfiltered. Canister filters cannot do this. Their flow rate may drop, but in a correctly designed pressurized filter 100% of the water will be filtered before it's returned to the tank.

Canisters also tend to be quieter (unless you're running something like the Ocean Clears on my 400 with their fan cooled external pumps, at least), offer a larger volume for media and offer better flexibility with respect to media choices than HOB filters do. They're also less of an eyesore, and they reduce evaporation rates compared to HOB filters if the spray bar is installed correctly (under the water's surface).

Canisters are not the be-all, end-all of filtration; internal filters (of all kinds, including power filters and sponge filters) and UGFs still have applications. Trickle filters and algae scrubbers both have their place, as do UV sterilizers, skimmers and ozone injection. But I can't think of anything that HOB filters do that something else doesn't do better. They're a poor compromise with no redeeming qualities in my eyes other than relative ease of use, size and cost, and they're my absolute last resort when it comes to filtration.
well, upon my experience with AC's I agree can be an issue of unfiltered water returning to the tank but a simple stuffing of wally polly at those points in the chamber has resolved that for me. I have witnessed the effectiveness as I was concerned, but it does catch debris as shown by the browning at these entry points. but also I have witnessed that putting extra layers of wally polly in the sponge section (I split the sponge in 1/2) between the sponge & on top & I have some effective filtering media.

+ if I need to place carbon media, it's so easy to lay on top of my bio-media bags & so easy to remove. with canisters nice to have those chambers but the physical removals to clean is a lot more tedious than AC cleaning. & those tubular cleanings - yuck! I can do without. AC intake tubes easy bottle brush cleaner in/out, easy removal easy to put back in place. canister tubings, nah! can do w/o the tediousness.

you're right tho, proper cleaning maintenance is required for canisters. that's the whole point! it's required for all filters & HOB's are so much more carefree to maintain!

survey says??!!

I am into ease of maintenance & AC's do it for me!

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
so in conclusion, AC + canisters are by far the majority. I on the other hand are in the minority where I am solely an AC user, no longer use any canisters.

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
anyone use an AC on their 10gal? which size is good for you? thinking AC30 for me. thx.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store