Ace25's 75G Build Thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Ace - what is your opinion of the Solaris light on that tank (other than it is expensive), having (I would assume anyway) first hand experience. Has it had any of the prevalent H-series issues? Don't want to derail the thread, but its hard to get first-hand data on these things.
The "H" series is just ok IMO. We just replaced a "G" Series with the "H" series last week when the owner picked up an "I" series for his home and brought the "H" series into the store. From the "G" to the "H" series about 2x as bright + "H" series has cloud settings. The "I" Series now.. that is BRIGHT. Now we are finally talking close to MH brightness.

Here is my breakdown:
G Series = Softies and some very low light LPS
H Series = Softies/LPS/very low light SPS
I Series = Softies/LPS/Medium light SPS (still don't think I would do Acros under it, it can be done, but will be slow growing)

Nice fixture, no problems in the 4 years of running that the owner has under his belt on any of the fixtures. I still think they are way to expensive for my taste and personally would not recommend them simply because of the cost. If someone has a ton of $ to blow, then fine, nice light, but for 99% of us out there it is still way beyond our price range ($4500 for a 6' "I" Series).

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Awesome, thanks. From what I've heard from firsthand experience, they are effective lights, but yes very expensive up front.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
I'm loving your collection of wrasses:) I'm also envious of the prices you pay. Over here, a flame angel costs about £80 ($160) :eek3:
I think I would find a different hobby if I were paying $160 for a common saltwater fish. That price is just beyond insane to me since I am used to the prices I have been paying for 14 years now. The most I have ever paid for a fish was $59.99 for the Potter's Angel. Most of the time, gobies are $15-$25 range (unless it is a Yasha), and most other fish run between $34.99-$59.99. Few rare ones are more expensive like ORA Picasso Clowns, and rare angels (Multicolor and Golden are $79.99), and rare Tangs (some rare ones go between $129.99-$149.99). I have never seen a fish more than $150 but corals on the other hand... not really much of a price break on those.. I paid $150 for one coral and $100 for several others. Some corals can go for $100's if not thousands depending on size. That purple rim cap in the last picture of the fish store.. if they were to sell the entire cap they could get $2500 for it (and have been offered that several times, but it isn't a piece that is for sale)

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
I'm happy with the hobby, I just don't buy the expensive fish;) I did have a flame angel about 3 years ago which I bought for £60 but I lost her during a heatwave and don't want to risk that sort of money again, especially as the prices have risen.

Saying that I've just found a website that sells the flames for £35 but wouldn't fancy doing mail order on fish!

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
I think maybe your idea and my idea of expensive are slightly different. ;) Even at 35 pounds.. that is just too expensive for my taste for a flame angel (Not that I would ever buy fish online, I will gladly pay a marked up price to a LFS for the ability to look at and observe the fish first). I wonder why the prices are so much higher there? Are there any special import laws/taxes there that they don't have here in the states that would raise the price? Reason I ask is because both the US and UK get their fish from the same place.. red sea, australia, fiji, marshall islands, etc.. so it would seem to me that flying fish out of those areas to either direction would cost about the same. So what is making it cost that much more in the UK? Maybe the Hawaiian fish (Potters) I could see being a little more there since it is very close to me, but far from you, but the rest I can't understand.

Can you post some recent prices from a LFS in your area just for comparisons sake? Normal fish.. like clownfish, gobies (yellow watchman), lawnmower blenny.. you know, the common fish most people start out with. I am just very curious now on how much prices change from different locations.

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
From the top of my head:

Chromis £4.99
Larmarck's Angel £35 (but I got mine for free:))
Mandarin dragonette £25
Pinktail Trigger £45

To be honest, I don't think there are many fish that are under £20 and prices between the two main dealers around here are about the same and both get their stock from TMC.

I'll have a nose when I next go.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Those prices sound normal and reasonable to me. Even though the currency exchange favors UK pounds, you also get paid in the same currency so it probably evens out. As an example, if I make $1000/mo and you make £1000/mo and the same fish cost me $4.99 and £4.99 for you then I guess it is an even price. So looking at it that way, £35 for you for a flame angel (although online) is what the going price is at LFS around me.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Sorry it took so long to reply.. ya, those prices are actually very good IMO. Also, that store is near you. I would definately look into buying corals from them when you get to that point since you can go pick them up. You should also look into the Bar Area Reefers. I went to one of their events and scored my Duncans from them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store