AC'S Oscar Club..........

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
Wow! He looks very close to one of mine! I think I would have a hard time telling them apart! Nice looking fish Neer!

thats cuz you didnt raise him from 1".... ;)

btw, 75 gallon tank is minimum oscar size tank. anything less than that, and you're not doing simple math of tank measurement vs. maximum fish size.

BigFishKeeper

Host of Aquatic Wetline Podcast
Feb 23, 2008
Springfield Mass USA
www.blogtalkradio.com
Real Name
Aqua Alex Cardinale
thats cuz you didnt raise him from 1".... ;)

btw, 75 gallon tank is minimum oscar size tank. anything less than that, and you're not doing simple math of tank measurement vs. maximum fish size.
For 1 Oscar= 55, 2=125, 3=150, 4=200, 5 or more 300+. Thats my rule of thumb with oscars.

gatotsu77

AC Members
May 17, 2006
For 1 Oscar= 55, 2=125, 3=150, 4=200, 5 or more 300+. Thats my rule of thumb with oscars.
Volume wise, that formula works. Tank size wise, that formula fails. A 55 is not large enough to comfortably house an oscar. Opinions or not, put yourself in a room which is 2' x 10' and see how you feel staying in there for any extended duration. It will drive you nuts, and we don't need our full length to turn around, just the width of our shoulders. Realistically, it would be more like standing in a corridor no more than 18" wide. You can turn around if you squish in your shoulders, but you WILL get uncomfortable very quickly if forced to stay in there for any extended duration. Now imagine having to live in there. 55g would be ok for a grow-out tank if you start with a small oscar and move it to a larger tank by the time it reaches 6-8", but it is NOT adequate for a lifetime home.

BigFishKeeper

Feb 23, 2008
Springfield Mass USA
www.blogtalkradio.com
Real Name
Aqua Alex Cardinale
Volume wise, that formula works. Tank size wise, that formula fails. A 55 is not large enough to comfortably house an oscar. Opinions or not, put yourself in a room which is 2' x 10' and see how you feel staying in there for any extended duration. It will drive you nuts, and we don't need our full length to turn around, just the width of our shoulders. Realistically, it would be more like standing in a corridor no more than 18" wide. You can turn around if you squish in your shoulders, but you WILL get uncomfortable very quickly if forced to stay in there for any extended duration. Now imagine having to live in there. 55g would be ok for a grow-out tank if you start with a small oscar and move it to a larger tank by the time it reaches 6-8", but it is NOT adequate for a lifetime home.
Yeah, you are kind of right.

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
also i know this has nothing to do with oscars but BFK can you please make your text look normal the Orange and red is starting to annoy me

BigFishKeeper

Feb 23, 2008
Springfield Mass USA
www.blogtalkradio.com
Real Name
Aqua Alex Cardinale
also i know this has nothing to do with oscars but BFK can you please make your text look normal the Orange and red is starting to annoy me
I like to post in color, why? Orange= Halloween and red is my favorite color.

BigFishKeeper

Feb 23, 2008
Springfield Mass USA
www.blogtalkradio.com
Real Name
Aqua Alex Cardinale
I like using my colors. Orange = Halloween and red is my favorite color.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store