Adding instant ocean to a 90 gallon tank question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Wrong hydrometer, you need one that starts at FW: 1.000. You started with FW & raised it to 1.012? If yes, please do an 80% WC right now & get that down. Your tank isn't finished cycling--you shouldn't be messing with the SG at this time, until it's done. Please read that article I linked you to.

tedwagner

AC Members
Sep 28, 2009
Sorry about the delay in getting back to you I did not see that it started a second page on the thread.

I just took another reading and it keeps coming up with no reading it just stays at 1.0? Done it twice and still reads the same thing..... WOW CONFUSED.

Here is what I bought to get the readings. http://www.aquariumguys.com/deepsix.html

It seems like it goes from FW at 1.0 to salt am I correct.

tedwagner

AC Members
Sep 28, 2009
Pufferpunk - About the hydrometer i am submerging this six inches into the water. Tapping it and setting it on a level surface and now I get a NO SG Reading the needle is at 1.0? I am thinking it is going to be fine. Sorry if I am ignorant to this but thats what we are all on here for right? Thanks. Ted

Do you have a link to a hydrometer that you feel is correct?

I did read your brackish puffer article on SG and thats why I came up with a safe mixture to start this off with for only treating 9 galloins of a 90 gallon tank. I guess that I see the point of the other 80 gallons having to mix at the same time.??? Any other suggestions instead of a 80% water change right now with no reading on the hydrometer sitting at 1.0?

Last edited:

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh

tedwagner

AC Members
Sep 28, 2009
OK I just got back and tested with the instant ocean hydometer and the reading comes back as 1.004 - I guess I should have only mixed up 5 gallons and put it in here. Now what do a water change real fast like the pufferpunk told me before I kill off the biological filter?

Last edited:

tedwagner

AC Members
Sep 28, 2009
Ok I did a 50% water change and SG is back around 1.003, I think it needed a water change anyway.

Lycanthropic

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
Alberta
1.003 is pushing it. Your bacteria may or may not just all die off.
I would consider rasing the SG 1.002/ week maximum just to make sure you dont have a bacteria bloom happen and a complete die off

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
As I PMed you, that will probably be ok--IF your tank was cycled properly. Please post your present parameters.

tedwagner

AC Members
Sep 28, 2009
Ok today I done antoher water change 30 gallons from 90. Tested the SG and it is 1.002, HOPEFULLY it did not kill the good bacteria in the tank.

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 10
pH 7.6

I think that is good! Almost AWESOME! any responses. I also threw in Cycle into the filter just to be shure after the water change today. I HOPE THIS IS OVER the cats seem to have settled down now and the lights are off!!!!. Here is a video of what they were doing earler today. When do I do the next water check and water change?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HETQjBrh_1s

Thats what was making me crazy about them??

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store