Adding instant ocean to a 90 gallon tank question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tedwagner

AC Members
Sep 28, 2009
Thanks for that info. I am sticking to my homer HOME DEPOT BUCKETS for now ( UNLESS YOU KNOW SOMETHIGN BAD ABOUT THE PLASTIC)? and just adding a couple of cup fulls of salt into the bucket of 5 gallon over the next year or so after WAY overshooting the SG. I mean it was basic math with the instant ocean. 10 gallons of salt mix (3 lbs) 1.5 lbvs per 5 gallons would raise the SG to 1.022 in each bucket. I figured when I added it to the tank it would be 1/10 of 1.022 or NEAR 1.002! I have a 90 gallon tank so I figured 100 gallons to make the math simpleWhy I overshot it is beyond me but since it is brackish and I am thinking I have it under control now I wam only adding a few cups every couple weeks now. I thought they were goinig to die the other day. Thanks again for the info on the bad Brute Garbage Cans. They are kind of reminding me of the CYCLE I made the mistake of buying at PETSMART the other day! Shhhhhhhhoooooooottts. 15 bux wasted.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
I've been using a Brute garbagr can for mixing for 3 years now. Proof is in the "pudding":

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
The thing is that there is the possibility that not all containers have this problem. However, the real issue is far more subtle than external growth and apparent health. The damage seems to be mostly on the reproductive level, as in reduced fertilization rates and gamete survival.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Hmmm... interesting! Does it help any to know that my Galaxia spawns regularly, as do my Citron gobies (yes, I've seen fry too).

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Those species may not be as susceptible or your particular can may be fine. There are too many variables involved, yet at least some brute cans have been verified to cause this problem--and they ere heavily used ones, as well.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Glad mine doesn't seem to be one of them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store