Advice for Noob?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
On a number of occasions I have cycled tanks by introducing water or some gravel or filter media from an established tank to jump start the bacteria. If that is not practical it is always easy to add a few goldfish which are extremely hardy to the tank in the first week. You can always return them to the LFS later. This starts your bio load out and puts something in the tank to watch which is always better than waiting for water to age.

As far as stocking goes the more important lesson is check your water quality along the way. For example, if you have one tetra in a 55g tank you will need to change your water once every two years. If you have 100 tetras in a 55g tank you will need to change your water every other day. Either way the water will be good quality but the maintenance requirements on the owner (you) are different. If you like changing your water you can add more fish. If you have a lot of other responsibilities and tend to put off water changes stock lighter.

What this means for you in simple practical terms is this: if you have a good filter (it sounds like you do) you can slowly add fish until maintaining your tank becomes too much work. Then back off and let natural attrition dial things back a bit. That is the experience part.

The single most important thing that new (and old) fish keepers ignore is testing the water on a regular basis. You can get one of those kits with a few different bottles of liquids in it. The liquids are better than the strips (though the strips seem to be enough to tell people if things are "probably OK" or "way off"). Test your water every week or two and use that as your guide for how many fish to cram in there. You will always know if you have room for more or not. If it only takes a week for your ammonia to hit danger levels you have overstocked. If your ammonia is always at the bottom of the scale you have room for more fish.

Your plan of adding a few every week is good. Another common mistake is going out and buying 50 fish because you are excited. A few a week is good. As you begin to reach what you think is the threshold back off and add a few a month. You'll know.

I would also advise to keep a journal. Record your water quality, the fish you add, the fish you lose (that you notice), when you change a filter, and whatever else happens to the tank. The entries may all be fairly short but you can learn a lot from your own experience that way.

Welcome to the club and have a wonderful time!

Oiler3535

AC Members
Mar 29, 2015
Renfrew
Thanks for the good post Pinkey. I'm painting my dining room today/tomorrow, then going into the city and grabbing a liquid(s) test kit Saturday, Then I'm going to fill the tank Sunday and get my first fish after I put in the Colony bacteria on Monday. I did discover a small aquarium area in a nearby small pet store, and while it most caters to salt water and goldfish people, it does have Cherry Barbs and Silver tip tetras, so I think I'll grab a half dozen of one of those to start with. Then I figured my order would be butterfly fish in a few weeks once the tank is properly cycled (put it in 2nd and if tetras start disappearing I'll return her), then the Dwarf Siam Botias, then the [silver or zebra] Angel, and finally the bristlenose pleco. All at least a week or two apart doing lots of testing in between. The silver tips or cherry barbs aren't really my first choice for my schoolers, but I figured I'll have lots of time down the road to replace them once they age out with the X-rays or Rummy noses I want. Or who knows? Maybe I'll really like them.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
I think you will be fine with any type of fish that will show off schooling behavior for you. If you are lucky you will even get other fish to join them and pretend they belong. I think that is just the neatest thing when one of my corys pretends to be a clown loach and joins them for a while. I also believe that your fish will swim and play together a lot more when they are happy. :)

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I still don't understand why folks don't ask for filter media/substrate or anything from established tanks to safely start a new one...........I give tons of people in my community established stuff all the time so long as they replace it :) just a thought. Easiest and safest way to start a new tank, and it hardly takes any time at all. Lots of experience here.

:welcome: all that I do not know!

$0.02

Oiler3535

AC Members
Mar 29, 2015
Renfrew
I still don't understand why folks don't ask for filter media/substrate or anything from established tanks to safely start a new one...........I give tons of people in my community established stuff all the time so long as they replace it :) just a thought. Easiest and safest way to start a new tank, and it hardly takes any time at all. Lots of experience here.

:welcome: all that I do not know!

$0.02
I don't know anybody with a tank would be my reason. Nobody within a 6 hour drive for sure, and even then nobody who I'd trust that their tank is healthy.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I don't know anybody with a tank would be my reason. Nobody within a 6 hour drive for sure, and even then nobody who I'd trust that their tank is healthy.
Oiler, I was in that boat at one time too. I did a fish-less cycle by adding ammonia. It was a 4-5 week process. The magic potions in the bottle aren't going to work instantly either and are mostly a wast of money. Like Heath said above, if I had to start from scratch again, I'd search HIGH and low for some good used filtration media from someone. Search Facebook or the likes for local aquarium groups, etc...

First plan on a good location for your 46g, so water changes and maintenance are easy. You'll be doing more than just your weekly water change at first. Get your API Master Test kit and a bottle of Prime or any other good dechlorinator.

As far as stocking goes? You can stock as much as both you and the fish will tolerate. Overstocking means lots of water changes to keep nitrates <20ppm.

Oiler3535

AC Members
Mar 29, 2015
Renfrew
Had an interesting conversation with the main guy at the big aquarium only store in the city (he said an Aweful lot I didn't catch-fast technical talker-but this interested me). Instead of a pleco and butterfly fish, he said I might get more enjoyment out of a pair of angels instead. He said after the tetras or barbs (my wife seems to really like the cherry barbs) and the Botias, I could get 4-5 Angels, wait for them to pair off, keep the pair we like and return the rest (he says by the time they pair off they might be big enough we actually make money off them). Then if the water tests alright a few weeks after we can try the butterfly fish or pleco.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Unless you have plans/room for fry, I would stick to one angel as a center piece...

Oiler3535

AC Members
Mar 29, 2015
Renfrew
Unless you have plans/room for fry, I would stick to one angel as a center piece...
Any reason? I wouldn't care if they bred successfully. Do they get overly aggressive when paired off if no fry live?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
IMO, you need more than a 46g bowfront for 4 angles. Angles get saucer sized and need room. I'm not sure why all the focus on breeding? You say you're brand-new at this. You gotta crawl before you walk so to speak. Like Bob suggested. A single angle fish would make a great centerpiece fish for this sized tank.

Reactions: evil wizard
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store