Advice for Noob?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Oiler3535

AC Members
Mar 29, 2015
Renfrew
IMO, you need more than a 46g bowfront for 4 angles. Angles get saucer sized and need room. I'm not sure why all the focus on breeding? You say you're brand-new at this. You gotta crawl before you walk so to speak. Like Bob suggested. A single angle fish would make a great centerpiece fish for this sized tank.
I have no interest in breeding the Angels, that was mentioned by RB. The guy at the store just said a pair is much better looking and behaving than a single, and having a matched pair is better to prevent aggression. I want 2 max. I would start with 4-5, but once they paired I'd return all but the pair, long before they get full sized, and long before I had more than a few fish in there.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
You could have 10 angels in a tank and have nothing but aggression and none of them pairing off. I'm never a fan of the "take a bunch and return what you don't want" theory. I only stock with what I intend to keep and that's what I suggest to anyone.

Oiler3535

AC Members
Mar 29, 2015
Renfrew
It never would have occurred to me either. Was the very knowledgeable seeming guy who's the manager. He said 2 often display more interesting behaviours, but they need to be paired or will fight, so suggested the 4 or 5 to try for a set pair. If none pair off, just pick my favourite and bring back the others, which he says they'll have no problem selling once out of quarantine. And since the Botias are the only ones I really really want, I'm open to suggestions

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
At the end of the day, it's the guy's job to sell as many fish as possible. I do love angels, but I've never had a tank or stocking level to support more than one at a time. Here's a pic of my 55g with a single koi angel and a mish-mash group of other fish..

Reactions: evil wizard

Oiler3535

AC Members
Mar 29, 2015
Renfrew
Nice tank. Lots of plants. I haven't even thought of plants. Got a few inserts for hiding spots, but no plants (real or plastic) or backround wrap. Looks real sharp, but could see how no room for another Angel with so much foliage. Those penguin tetras and Mickey mouse platys with the koi?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Siamese algae eaters are the penguin looking buggers and yes, MM platys. That pic is a little old. The platys have since passed on (had them for 2.5yrs). The angle is quite a bit bigger now.

Oiler3535

AC Members
Mar 29, 2015
Renfrew
First fish are in . The 6 bitty Cherry barbs look pathetic in the big 46G. My cat really likes them lol. PH is 7.4. That unreasonably high? Gonna get a wrap for the back and some tall fake plants and maybe a bubbler next time in the city.

image.jpg image.jpg

Oiler3535

AC Members
Mar 29, 2015
Renfrew
Tested my water ~18 hrs after first fish. All numbers 0, though the ammonia colour could conceivably be described as non-zero, but the colour was way closer to the zero than the .25. Interesting (to me) observation: I got 6 Cherries, and 5 seem to hang out together, usually toward one wall, with the other one swimming around everywhere. I fed them a tiny amount and the single ate most of it. The others came over for a quick bite, but went back quickly and the single finished it all off. Also, one of them is noticeably darker red than the others (not the single I mentioned earlier). I'm guessing it' said female and the rest are males?

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
My guess would be the other way around. One vivid colored male and rest females. Oh and when feeding, make sure to feed the single first and then throw some over where the rest are.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I'll ad my 2 cents on angels.

simply put they are hit/miss.

you can add 4-6 or more and they will be fine..pair you simply increase the chance of a pair bond forming. at which time you will see an increased level of aggression in the tank.(the angles will be establishing a territory and will vigorously defend it)

if a pairs do not form, this does happen on occasion, you will get to watch angels exhibit loose schools/shoals. it is actually quite interesting and can be pulled of in very large tanks where territory is less of an issue.

I have altum (5) in a 75 , no pairs and very strong schooling habits.. there is aggression but it is spread out when you have enough specimens in the tank.

good luck with the cycling,. Have you ever considered adding live bacteria ? there are a few companies that have shelf stable bacteria in a bottle.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store