Air bubbles in Marineland Magniflow 220

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

EOD

AC Members
Sep 12, 2010
Schofield Barracks, HI
Real Name
David
When I began in the hobby I had an online friend who had been in the pet and fish business for over 50 years. He had owned stoed, worked for others, done imports and even worked in breeding. By the time we met he was retired and just a hobbyist. He use to tell me he hated hoses. The would leak, the would let go they were a danger as far as he was concerned.

I took him at his word and when I got my fist canister and with every hosed device since I have used mostly stainless steel hose clamps. For smaller hoses used in air driven systems I use the plastic style clamps in dougall's pic.

You can find hose clamps in assorted sizes in pretty much any hardware or building supply place.

On my canisters I also have inline heaters. So I clamp them as well. I also clamp the connectipns where the hoses from the filter attach to the spraybar and the intake. I only use Eheim Pro II cainsters which are about 20 years old and have been at least twice replaced by newer lines. The fact that my oldest one has been running for over 20 years and is still as quiet as the day I bought it explains why I chose Eheim. I have three running, one for spare parts and then the larger sized one I never managed to put into use.

If you issue is nit with air sneaking ni via hose connections, then I would look to the head gasket. That is the one which seals the top and body of the filters when the unit is closed. I usually take the gasket off and rinse it when I clean my filters every 6 months. If that gasket degrades, it can cause leaks of water out and.or air in.

Finally, AFter I have cleaned the filter I refill it fully and then return it to the tank. Because the filter has shut-off valves, the intake and return hoses remain filled with water when the filter is removed. So when I restart there is little or no air inside the filter. In fact, for the first 10 years I had my first one, I ran CO2 directly into the filter's intake. This was another reason I chose Eheim. Most canisterss do not do well with gas bubbles inside.
Thanks. Next time I'm at the hardware store I'll get a better hose clamp. I need to go there anywhere because I want to build my own spraybar

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
This is the inflow. I read a forum somewhere else that said to cut the graduated portion of the pipe so that it's closer to the tubing diameter and doesn't leave room for air. I did that and it helped some but there's still a little air gap. Here's the new pic
Personally I would prefer the tubing on further, past the barbs on the pipe and have the clip on the other side of the barbs (above in your pic)

I would also double check the gasket/o-ring on the main filter body also especially if you did have trouble with it.

I've personally never needed to use metal clamps on the hose; I have had trouble with air getting in, but it's been resolved just by making sure tubing is attached correctly.

Touch wood I have never had trouble with the o-ring.

Good luck though, it should be a fairly easy fix for you..

Reactions: dudley

EOD

AC Members
Sep 12, 2010
Schofield Barracks, HI
Real Name
David
Are there stores and sell canister filter inflows and returns so that I can have better ones? The return is really cheap and not very adjustable and the inflow is the reason I'm having air issues.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I know there used to be a couple of options, no idea if they are still available. Best option might be mail order if you don't have somewhere local that is crazily big.

I just had a quick look around and couldn't find anything like I was thinking of.

Possibly the only option these days, unless someone knows better, would be replacement pipes used for aquascaping, normally made from glass or stainless steel. If you choose that options be sure it fits over the rim of your tank, and around your lid too

Apr 2, 2002
New York
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store