Algae Eating Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Otocinclus

AC Members
Aug 27, 2004
Northern California
Oto cats rock, these are my fav freshwater fish. Otos are what the people at LFS'a should recommend for small community tank cleaning, not plecos.

I dunno why so many people have trouble keeping them healthy - in my exp they are one of the hardiest cleaning fish you can buy. Maybe my sources are good about acclimation.

They are also the cuteist little bugers :)

QCppg

Carp for brains!
May 4, 2004
Visit site
Common pleco: Grows very large but does a decent job on algae... Mine (about 1 foot long) has never harmed my plants (hornwort and anacaris) even when it was confined in a 18 gallon tank, but my dad's eats just about everything green.

Ghost shrimp: They don't touch the algae itself, but will eat all the stranded bits of fish food that fish may miss or be unable to reach. Plus they are cheap.

Snails: Work okay.

Common goldfish: Don't laugh... NOTHING green survives in my goldfish tank! They will pick at the glass whenever there isn't food in the water.

hey

AC Members
Dec 6, 2004
Are SAE's also referred to as just algae eaters (and their lighter colored reltives "golden algae eaters")?

The regular algae eaters that I see at petsmart grow to about 6"

ambrosiamonkey

Doing the Community Thing
Dec 9, 2004
Berkeley, California
otocinclus

Does anyone have any suggestions about what to feed otos after they've thoroughly cleaned up the tank? And/or how does one tell when the otos have thoroughly cleaned up the tank?

I'm asking because I just added 5 otos to my new 50 gallon (filled and added plants on Thursday and Friday, Saturday added bio-spira and the otos) and they are going to town hoovering over the plants and sides gobbling up algae I can't even see. Which is great. But it makes me wonder if they ever get it all, how will I know I need to feed them? Should I just drop in an algae wafer every so often and see if they are interested? What else, besides algae, do otos like to eat? Would they maybe like blanched cucumbers or peas? (I'd rather ask here than put too much food in a new tank...)

Thanks!

Blackghostknife

Lila's Boo
Jan 14, 2005
DC
algae eaters

well from my experance auto cats rock i have 4 in my 10 gallon breeding tank it has all kinds of live bearers in it and those 4 totally rock and keep it under control. in my large tank i got a nice sized pleco about 8 inches they are great at battleing the algae around 6 inches or so plecos though start prefering real food vegg's blood worms and shrimp they still battle the algae but at about 1\2 the rate as before

Obsidian

AC Members
Dec 13, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Okay, there seems to be some confusion about what fish are what. Chinese Algae Eaters (CAE) and their golden cousins, IMO, are quite good at cleaning up a tank when they are very young. The one I have now is about 3 1/2 inches long, and he is beginning to prefer algae wafers and shrimp pellets. CAEs also become aggressive when they get older.

Siamese Algae Eaters... SAE, Flying Fox, Algae Eating Shark... they eat beard algae and whatnot. They don't get aggressive, from what I understand. I just bought one of those today... LFS labelled it as Algae Eating Shark.

Otos... OCats... are small and delicate, very sensitive to water quality. I have never had much luck keeping these alive for more than a couple weeks.

Common plecos are kind of pointier than rubberlipped plecs. They grow to be about 18" long... so not really a good choice for that 20 gallon tank... I've never had one, so I don't know how effective they are.

Rubberlipped plecs look kind of like slugs from a distance, they are so streamlined. They are quite sensitive to water quality issues. They are very efficient at cleaning up algae. However, the ones I've had seem to eventually stake out a territory and keep to that part of the tank. They especially like large smooth rocks. They also have been known to 'polish' the decorations in the tank. In my case, my plec started scraping the paint/dye on the fake rock ornament I had. I think he died from ingesting the resin and paint so much.

And there are other options like snails and shrimp, but I don't know anything about that at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store