Algae Eating Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MMX

AC Members
Nov 30, 2002
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
neon7 said:
and what is the differance between a flying fox and an sae because around here they are the same fish.
FYI:
http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/cyprinid.html

True "SAE":
"All the fins are transparent or slightly milky without any yellow or reddish sheen. The black band goes from nose to the fork of the tail and its edges are zig-zagged."

False "SAE" = Flying Fox:
"The black horizontal band does not go to the fork of the tail but stops at the base of the tail and its edges are rather smooth... All fins except pectoral are yellowish and there are dark markings on the dorsal fin." ;)

ccclifford

AC Members
Sep 8, 2005
is there any type of fish that will eat algea and stay outside all winter in a 12 gallon pond for my tank is not set up.

Ive found a dead otto or 2 so it leads me to believe they are rathar sensative to water conditions but your so right I have some little ones who never stop eating algae off plants & tubes but wont touch the lava rocks where the shrimps hang out.Otto's seem to work in the mid to upper range of a tank,cute too! never found a dead Algae Eating Shrimp though I think the AES's rest & never seen an otto that wasn't working.Large otto's rest

Last edited:

Jerm

Hehe!! A fishy!! and a rolly guy!!
Sep 26, 2005
Rouses Point NY
Richer said:
2.) Otos - cute little suckers (pun intended). Seem to work quite well in larger groups. I have about (haven't had an accurate count in months) a dozen in my 70 gallon tank. Quite a few people seem to have a problem keeping these little guys alive. Assimilate these critters to your tank extremely slowly to increase chances of survival.
I've never had a problem keeping my ottos alive. I thought they were hardy lil fish, and they are like vaccumms to algae.

reiverix

Aye
Sep 4, 2004
Columbus, OH
Otos are a hit or a miss, depending on their condition when you buy them. Choosing ones that are eating and have fat bellies will increase their survival rate. The critical stage seems to be the first few days after adding them to the tank but they can still just die suddenly within the first month or so. I've had my group for almost a year now and they are really quite hardy when acclimatized.

trevorich

AC Members
Nov 28, 2005
Ameca Splendens

I've got em and while they are fun to watch, they also love to chase others around and have nipped fins on other fish. I would only recommend them for semi aggressive tanks. They do a marvelous job though.

I knew I was getting them and wanted to really test out their reputation so I allowed the phosphates in my hospital tank (20gal) go through the roof. Only had some zebra danios in there (sacrificial lambs but they all survived just fine) and did no vaccuming on the tank for a month. Algae city....put two females and one male juvenile ameca's in there...5 days it was clean. they ate everything!

trev

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store