Almost all of my fish are dead

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Seaman

Shrimp gumbo, shrimp salad etc...
May 22, 2004
Im like air im everywhere (Dallas, TX)
Whoa...most of those chemicals, In my opinion, are bandages for bigger problems. Like the nitrate absorbing pack....If you cant do enough water changes to keep the nitrates down, then you are to heavily stocked, also you're removing more than just nitrAtes with water changes. Also the carbon you have in your filter will remove medications that you are putting in the water, so leave the carbon out while you medicate...then add it after to remove the medication.

olaf

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
Visit site
I had 18 fish all about 5" to 5.5" long.
Sebaes were 7" tall.
No big problem.
The issue was one of my monos had a cut/scrape on its lip and it would keep scraping it on the Cell Pore and it looked like it might had fungus around this scrape. This is why I used Melafix. It wasn't fungus it was scar tissue. I took a look at it when I pulled it out this morning. :(

I check my water often every Friday I take a sample down to the LFS.
(You buy a sample bottle $4.50 to get a water test and then all water test after are free.) I go down there to see what they have gotten in their shipment. Their shipments arrives Friday morning.
I do water changes not every week like some places say you should.
But at least once a month 10% - 12% (15 - 20 gallons).
I have to add pH. When I do my fish are more lively.
My pH runs from 7.8 - 8.2. As of last it has been closer to 7.8 - 8.0.

olaf

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
Visit site
Water movement - I don't think that is an issue since most Brackish water is in estuaries.

"In my opinion, are bandages for bigger problems" <-- precautionary, no problems.

Also I have a few Java Ferns in my tank. (3 plants).

Death Toll
5 Argentine Monos 5.5"
5 Sebae Monos 5" (7" tall)
1 Green Scat 5.5"
1 Red Scat 3.5"
1 Silver Scat 5,5"
1 Archer 5"
1 Silver Tiger Fish 5.5"

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
I agree. That's a lot of unnecessary chemicals, that could have been avoided with much larger, more often water changes. How big is the tank?

olaf

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
Visit site
150 gallon.
The denitrate and Nitrate sponge combined equals that amount suggested for a 150 gallon tank.
Too much carbon?

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
I'd say now enough larger water changes & too many chemicals.

olaf

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
Visit site
Is this your cause of death opinion.
Hmmm, not the fact that I added something to my tank and all my fish died.
Basic reasoning would suggest anything out of the ordinary would be the cause of death. If it was because of "not enough water changes and too many chemicals" would quality of life slowly degrade.
Example: smokers - skin starts to discolor and wrinkle, breathing becomes harder, & cancer or other disease sets in then death.
Oh, this is not a set time line, individuals vary. But time line is very similar in end result.

Adding a substances then death occurs under 24 hours, the cause is elementary!

Gee, all those pre-med classes were for nothing. Well be glad I didn't become a doctor I might have figured out that you had something you actually had.

HA HA HA HA! <-- this is me giggling.

Its okay.

My water quality was good when tested. My fish were beautiful and I won't be using Melafix or Pimafix.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Actually I have lost several fish overnight, that seemed perfectly healthy the day before, if I get lax on water changes.

olaf

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
Visit site
I realize what you mean chem + chem = don't mix!
But "thinking out load here" the "chemicals" I was using would have lessened the effect of the meds this is why they say you should replace your carbon after using meds because they would be saturated with medication (from drawing it out of the water) and wouldn't work as well (<100%) as if they weren't subjected to the medications.
No suggestion of chemical reactions on label. Also no dose information on Pimafix label. Months ago I contacted tech support, they said follow Melafix instructions. <-- company that makes the product.
Drs. Foster & Smith tech line found only instructions for Pimafix 1 tps for every 50 gallons. I know that this does relate to pond strength since I have also bought Melafix in the 64oz. for Ponds. There they state 1 tps for every 50 gal. But that was back in 2000 when I bought pond strength. Maybe I should have taken it with a grain of salt and dose accrodingly to pond strength.

De*Nitrate, Biologically removes and controls nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia in all aquariums. Also removes dissolved organics and acts as additional biological filter media. 1 Liter treats approximately 100 gallons.

Nitrate Songe, Granular material absorbs nitrates from saltwater aquariums. One half gallon will reduce nitrates in a 50 gallon aquarium by 20 mg/l. Requires three or more weeks to see results.

So it was my mistake to list both of those products under chemical filtration, or was it? The latter sound like sinder stone. These were exact descriptions from the product.

The other day I made myself a strawberry milkshake I decided to add a banana. As I was drinking the milkshake and it tasted like a banana.(?) Hmm, it must have been because of the strawberries.

Last edited:

olaf

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
Visit site
Pufferpunk said:
Actually I have lost several fish overnight, that seemed perfectly healthy the day before, if I get lax on water changes.
But did you add anything to the tank that evening before?
Fish, water, chems, or meds?
If you did then what would you think. Gee what I added must have killed my fish.

I have friends (yep I do have some, but I am very selective :p) that have had whole tank die offs that was after they added a fish, meds, or did a water change ([oops] "I thought you added the dechorinizor', twin, "I asked you and you said, yes") but it was over days 24-48 hours as they watched their fish die. :(
High chorine tap water here 2.0 - 2.2 if you ever had a pool or lifequarded that is the setting for a public swimming pool. I don't drink the water. Bottle for me, thank you.

I do have 3, 35 gal rubbermaid trash cans on my back porch with cycling, read (except for temp) brackish water. Powerhead, air hose but covered.
I have a few baby guppies in each to start the nitrogen cycle. My tank raised guppies, not those you buy from the pet store with diseases. Yes a while back I had to but now I have gone through many generation and I have weeded out the ill.
Guppy living in my nano salt for over 9 months now. Came in with some brackish fish. Looks a little different but mates with other guppies I throw in for food. FW flounder (yep in my SW nano) 3" - 4" now and living well.
Back to the guppy it has had about 4 or 5 litters now in SW. babies eaten by flounder. This is interesting. The flounder pulls its head up off the sand and the baby guppy swims along the bottom and thinks the flounder is shelter. slowly the flounder lays back down until it starts to feel the smaller fish under it. Then it drops or it will inhale sucking the baby into its mouth.

So, I think I have done more than just my homework I have actually studied this and I am passionate about brackish water fish. Not for a job or for school which in most cases it is studied enough to get through, but for the pleasure of knowing and caring.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store