Am I the only one who likes all the odball fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nippy

Sweetie's keeper
May 26, 2002
Fairbanks, Alaska
I've got two ropefish, two bichirs (ornate & senegal), two tiretrack eels, a marbled sleeper goby, various other gobies, a needlenose gar & a flounder. I used to have an African butterfly fish, too.

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
Hiya!
I was gonna make a new thread but i maswell ask it in this one:

My boyfriend (aaron) and i are getting a 90 gallon tank in a week. He loves oddball fish (while i am into africans), and because the tank will be at his place it's gonna be an oddball tank. We do want one oscar in there, however, because we hear they are great personailty fish and want to give it a try. (he also wants to be able to feed something live fish, and the oscar will suffice for that ;) ).

Anywhoo, i really like those black ghost knife fish, and would love to have one of those. Also aaron wants some sort of eel, and a little school of clown loaches (3?). Also some sort of catfish.... i have a synodontis in my malawi tank and i like him so maybe a kind of synodontis would be cool.... or a channel cat or something?

So my main question is will those fish go together? We would be getting them all as babies so the oscar can grow up with them. (I am a little worried about the ghost knife though because i think they aren't very aggressive (?) ).

The tank is a 90- will that be big enough for those fish to live happily together if they are compatible? (we'll decorate accordingly)

If they wont work together can you reccomend any other fish that we could work in around the oscar? (If the oscar absolutely can't work though we will be willing to negotiate for some other 'oddball' fish).

Thanks guys i know its a lot of questions but i gotta ask!

-Diana

1tankneverenuff

CephHead
Feb 13, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Visit site
Originally posted by ~*LuvMyKribs*~
Hiya!
I was gonna make a new thread but i maswell ask it in this one:

My boyfriend (aaron) and i are getting a 90 gallon tank in a week. He loves oddball fish (while i am into africans), and because the tank will be at his place it's gonna be an oddball tank. We do want one oscar in there, however, because we hear they are great personailty fish and want to give it a try. (he also wants to be able to feed something live fish, and the oscar will suffice for that ;) ).

Anywhoo, i really like those black ghost knife fish, and would love to have one of those. Also aaron wants some sort of eel, and a little school of clown loaches (3?). Also some sort of catfish.... i have a synodontis in my malawi tank and i like him so maybe a kind of synodontis would be cool.... or a channel cat or something?

So my main question is will those fish go together? We would be getting them all as babies so the oscar can grow up with them. (I am a little worried about the ghost knife though because i think they aren't very aggressive (?) ).

The tank is a 90- will that be big enough for those fish to live happily together if they are compatible? (we'll decorate accordingly)

If they wont work together can you reccomend any other fish that we could work in around the oscar? (If the oscar absolutely can't work though we will be willing to negotiate for some other 'oddball' fish).

Thanks guys i know its a lot of questions but i gotta ask!

-Diana
My Black Ghost Knife takes care of himself quite well. Make sure you have some sort of piping in there because they love to swim in tubes and pipes. As far as being non-aggressive...like I said, he can take care of himself. I've had mine with lots of fish and no one messes with him. When he senses any fish near him he will "head-butt" them out of the way. I have never seen him deliberately attack another fish, but he will definitely let them know who's territory is who's ;). So, I wouldn't worry about him. And it is a great idea to purchase them all as babies, way easier to grow them all together. But, you have 90 gallons to work with! That's 3 times the size of my largest tank! Build plenty of hiding places and thick plant life and I don't see any problems. My trio of Oscars (Tiger, Albino Tiger, and Silver Tiger) have been with Jelly-Bean Parrots, Elephant Nose, African Cichlids, African Butterfly, Tire Track and Peacock eels, African Striped Goby, Black Ghost Knife, African Knife, Clown Knife, Bumblebee Catfish and more. Keep them all around the same size and you'll be fine with the majority of Cichlids and other aggressive fish. Especially if they all grow up together...

Last edited:

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
My trio of Oscars (Tiger, Albino Tiger, and Silver Tiger) have been with Jelly-Bean Parrots, Elephant Nose, African Cichlids, African Butterfly, Tire Track and Peacock eels, African Striped Goby, Black Ghost Knife, African Knife, Clown Knife, Bumblebee Catfish and more.
So a african butterfly would be cool in that tank? It would be neat to get a few for the top. We'll have lotsa surface plants for them. Yay i am getting excited about this tank! Thanks for your help! I'll be sure to grow them all up together.

1tankneverenuff

CephHead
Feb 13, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Visit site
Originally posted by ~*LuvMyKribs*~

So a african butterfly would be cool in that tank? It would be neat to get a few for the top. We'll have lotsa surface plants for them. Yay i am getting excited about this tank! Thanks for your help! I'll be sure to grow them all up together.
From my experience, they have no problems together. They check each other out in curiousity, but no more than that. Just as long as you don't have a 12" Oscar and 2" African Butterfly...haha. You'll be fine. My Oscars ranger from 1.5"-3" and my African Butterfly is about 2.5" and they all get along.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store