And it all started with just a tank...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

alleykat0498

AC Members
Oct 1, 2008
Virginia
Harbor Freight may have one that would be cheap enough to keep around for later use.
I have a personal rule about buying stuff from Harbor Freight, I found one to borrow. I just have to wait till the weekend to get my hands on it.

I've got the AquaC Remora Pro and it works great. AquaC has several types of skimmers.
Is your Remora a hang on or in sump system? I'm against having any thing besides the lights above the tank.
thanks to share the joy !!! :popcorn:
Very welcome.:)

Are you planning on drilling the glass yourself?

If so I am wondering how you plan to do it. I have a 40 hex tank sitting around I've been slowly turning into a seahorse tank and that is an issue I have not yet solved myself. I really don't want to do a hob overflow.
I have drilled glass before. The most important part is to keep the bit cool. I constant supply of water and low rpm's with little to no pressure (and of course make sure your glass isnt tempered). I plan to make a rig from a soda bottle to cool the bit, this way I can unscrew the cap to control water flow to the bit and glass. I chose the aqueon 40b because it's not tempered even on the bottom so it can be drilled anywhere :thm:

Any other questions about drilling a tank feel free to ask.

I cant decide whether I want to drill the holes in the overflow or cut teeth out of them. I think if I drill holes instead of teeth it will add to the "custom" look of this project. Whatta you guys think?

lanimret

AC Members
Apr 1, 2008
I will definitely take you up on that. I have pretty much every power tool known to man, I've just never drilled glass.

Phatboydime

AC Members
Dec 22, 2008
Personally I would drill a line of 3/8 in holes around the top of the overflow. If you find that isn't enough, you could always drill 1/8 in holes just underneath but in the middle of the original ones to add more flow.

But that's just my .02

alleykat0498

AC Members
Oct 1, 2008
Virginia
Well I scrapped the first piece of abs, I cut another one and drilled a line of 1/4 inch holes in the flat piece then squared the edges of the holes to the edge. Then I just cut the lines free hand with a circular saw. I scrapped the first one because I made a huge mess out of it trying to cut straight lines on a not so flat material.

Before the oven.

100_1981.JPG

alleykat0498

AC Members
Oct 1, 2008
Virginia
A place called piedmont plastic's it's right around the corner from my house. Just google plastic and your hometown. It's 1/4" black abs sheeting. I bought a drop from them and it was around 25$.

On a side note Trial #2 is in the oven:)

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I have a personal rule about buying stuff from Harbor Freight, I found one to borrow. I just have to wait till the weekend to get my hands on it.
Well, can't say I blame you, but FWIW I bought one there for $10 and have used it hundreds of times being an electronics geek and using heat shrink on everything. They are also great for heating up and connecting loc-line fittings by hand.

alleykat0498

AC Members
Oct 1, 2008
Virginia
Well here's the unfinished overflow, once again it will need some heat applied to certain area's but the overall look is what I was hoping for. I have realized that though 300 degree's will burn you faster through thick gloves, the material becomes much more pliable at this temperature without losing it's finish. I just wouldnt leave it at that temp for more than 5 minutes.

100_1982.JPG

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
That looks great. I have yet to find a supplier for overflow boxes. You may have found a niche. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store