anemone problems yay

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Thats what I was thinking. Raja, did the seller charge you $300 for just the light?

PC? not sure what that is but ill tell u this is a very bright light.. ill have to get back at u with the specs but its a
$300 light alone.. not sure if price has n e thing to do with calibur of lighting but hey.. thats not cheap
I think that entire system including the light only retails for less than $175 around here.

There are some really knowledgable people here when it comes to anemones. Some of those that have replied I tend to agree with most of the time, but even one that has a different approach at times has a solid understanding of the hobby and the care of an anemone in a smaller tank (not tiny but smaller). If you can answer some of the questions and try get some more photos perhaps we can all help you save this creature.

bluegrizzlies1

AC Members
Oct 7, 2007
utah
It is the the 12 gallon aqua pod 70 watt MH HQI I know I have one.

It has moon and white light leds.

And yes the light bar itself runs 200 bucks alone that is why everyone was getting the whole setup back in nov for 180.00 shipped because they are doing away with this item.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Well, if it is a 70w MH and not the 2 PC lights then disregard my lighting concerns. That is enough for the condy anemone in that vaulme of water.. now, size of the tank is the other concern. I just got rid of my condy anemone yesterday, after caring for it for over 5 years. It was taking up 1/3 of my 29G tank. The tentacles were touching the glass on the front and back of my tank it was that big. Condys are usually considered the "small" end of the anemones in size also, and I personally tend to think one can do well in a smaller tank/less light than most others, but I still think the min size tank for any anemone is at least 20 gallons, preferably 24G being the smallest size tank.

The OPs anemone is still a baby though so it has a little while before it outgrows the tank, but it will if it survives.

The brown, while I personally have never seen 'brown' on my condy, I have read that it is usually a good thing. Now my anemone was bleach white from day one, and never really got any color over the years, but it ate like a pig, grew pretty big, and stung me and anything else it could touch, so I don't always think the 'brown' is a good sign from my experience. Some anemones are white, and are not bleached.

My Condy as a baby 5+ years ago:

My Condy a couple weeks ago:

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
^^ That's brown :D. When we say "brown" it can mean anywhere from actually being brown to tan. So, yours fits the description in any case.

raja86

AC Members
Mar 27, 2008
Florida
well hes still back there today.. he recoils every night.. im afraid to try and move him because ive read it can hurt him more than n e thing.. hes done this before but never for this long.. should i attempt to move him?

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
It is normal for them to shrink every 1-2 days to expel waste. Although I do think this is probably something that should be returned to the store or traded with another sw keeper I'd not move it just to find it a new location in the tank. You're likely to do more harm than good in that situation.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
My anemone never shrunk up when expelling waste. I could see it doing it business every 3-4 days out of its mouth, but never shrunk up. My neighbors Rose LTA does shrink up on a regular basis (once a month) when it does digest. I always wondered why mine didn't shrink up, if it was a good or bad sign, if just certain anemones shrink up and others dont. I really don't know, but it did eat small fish and at least a full cube of shrimp every day that I had it.

But I do agree with Grins, my opinion as well is you should probably find a better suited home for it. Definately DO NOT move it. They will move/walk around on their own if they are not happy with where they are at. Moving them yourself just makes them mad.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Oh, ok.. ya, mine was pooing.. not refilling itself with water. I guess I just put them together as the same thing since when I see my neighbors shrink up it also expels waste. I thought they shrunk up to push out the waste. I didn't think of it as 2 seperate things happening.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store