Anentome helena aka Assassin Snails

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
You might want to try feeding them something else if they're not apparently eating the pellets.

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
I'm waitin on them

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
I got home from work a little while ago and did a complete water change in the tub. The water smelled as bad as the box when I first opened it. For some (unknown to me) reason there were apparently live plants similar to hornwort packed in the plastic containers, along with wet paper towels. Needless to say the plants didn't survive 2 weeks of total darkness, most were reduced to foul-smelling piles of brown mush. That's the smell I'm trying to get rid of with fresh water now. The bubbling airstone doesn't help the air quality in the room much...
It does look like most of them are alive, though not all of them are active. A fair number are just lying around, unlike the ones that have climbed the sides of the tub or scattered across the bottom. So far I've turned up one empty shell, and there are more than a dozen loose shell "doors" lying around the bottom.
As for the pellets, it's impossble to tell whether they ate any. The pellets have long since broken apart, and 95% of the debris was dumped with the old water. Word is the critters will the same things as other snails if there's no live prey available. I have a fair number of ramshorns and pond snails in a 10 gallon tank, but not enough to feed this crowd more than a single meal. I'll try some NLS pellets tomorrow.

Last edited:

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
Why did you seller ship them in water? Never ship snails in water. Next time tell them to ship them in wet newspaper.. They will last 10 times longer that way.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
The seller didn't ship them in water, they were (apparently at least) packed in plastic containers w/wet paper towels and live plants. For some reason they didn't stay in the containers, most were in a pile in the bottom of the large styro box the containers were packed in.
So far I've picked out 40 dead ones, and there are some others that don't look good. Picking out dead snails isn't much fun, but the smell is the worst part.

oO.Crim.Oo

I ♥ my fishies!
Jan 10, 2008
Randallstown, MD
Real Name
Natosha
The seller didn't ship them in water, they were (apparently at least) packed in plastic containers w/wet paper towels and live plants. For some reason they didn't stay in the containers, most were in a pile in the bottom of the large styro box the containers were packed in.
So far I've picked out 40 dead ones, and there are some others that don't look good. Picking out dead snails isn't much fun, but the smell is the worst part.
Wow, what a drag. Sorry to hear that. I hope the seller refunds what you paid for them.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Don't bother with pellets any longer. If you can't get them live snails, try using frozen bloodworms.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Until I find out about replacements for the DOA's, the two folks who wanted 25/20 snails will be bumped back pending the second shipment. The few people who posted in this thread before the deadline will be first, send me a PM with your e-mail and shipping preference (going out next Monday), either Priority or First Class Mail. I'll tally up the totals and send paypal invoices after work tonight. Once the folks who hopped on before the deadline are taken care of, any extras will be available @$5 each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store