Angry Gourami

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Sure you have a choice... There are cheap rubbermaid/plastic tubs you can buy from walmart/target, even 5g buckets from drugstores or hardware stores, if you don't want to get him a 5g (which you could use as a QT later).

Alec2cool

AC Members
Feb 18, 2010
Central Indiana
Real Name
Alec
I have 2 10g tanks with rocks filters heaters and plants in my closet all closed up. Ive put up with this fish for over 4 months of him killing my new fish and my old ones. Im done wasting my time with him, He wont die in the tank he's in, in fact he's watching me type right now(tank is next to the computer). He's fine and seems to like it. Honestly i think hes happy to finally have a space to compeletly call his own. I know its small but its his fault

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Well, I don't think your gourami is maliciously doing anything, he's just being what he is. You set him up a nice tank and then all these strange fish start invading! He wasn't trying to cause you stress or discomfort, unlike the other way around. I hope he finds a new home soon.

Alec2cool

AC Members
Feb 18, 2010
Central Indiana
Real Name
Alec
Me to, he is one of the prettiest fish ive seen. And i think he knows it lol, He turns his side to me and flicks his bottom and top fins up if i turn on the light and look really close to the tank. Lol

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
You could try rearranging the tank he was in, and then putting him back after all the other fish have gotten used to the changes and established their territories. That way, he's the new kid on the block and needs to make nice.

dritz

AC Members
Jul 26, 2010
You could try rearranging the tank he was in, and then putting him back after all the other fish have gotten used to the changes and established their territories. That way, he's the new kid on the block and needs to make nice.
:iagree:

i'm no expert by any means......but have been surfing the posts alot for a while now and this seems to be a pretty popular method for taming aggressive fish (have not had reason to try this myself but have heard of many great results) hopefully, if you can find it in your heart to keep your gorgeous little buddy, this will work for you

Alec2cool

AC Members
Feb 18, 2010
Central Indiana
Real Name
Alec
I know that method well and i've tried it with differant troublemaking fish but it doesnt work for this guy. Ill put him in the newly arranged tank and he will hide for a bit and then as soon as he sees the fish he doesnt like, he chases it nonstop. He just doesnt like tankmates, not even bottom feeders.

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
Sometimes the best way to control a alpha male personality is put him in with a bigger bully. I had a angry gourami that I gave to my father in law. He put him in with his huge angel fish and he chilled out a lot. But after a while he started chasing everything but the Angel's. Then one day he came home to find him dead, I am thinking he tried stepping up to the Angels and lost.

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
As a good looking fish, and presumably entertaining to you when he's not bugging other fish, why not set up a 10g for him alone? You know he can't act up anymore if there's no one else to bully... You can still admire his beauty and he can be happy in his little kingdom.

Alec2cool

AC Members
Feb 18, 2010
Central Indiana
Real Name
Alec
Setting up his own sounds like a good idea. Would a 3g work with filter and heater? i know a really nice one at petsmart

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store